Upgrade to remove ads
247 - Arousal Control
Terms in this set (9)
Using focused breathing to find balance
1. Direct thought patterns from worry (cognitive) to physical focus (tightening of stomach as you inhale)
2. On exhale, relax body and switch from physical focus to relevant task thoughts (cognitive)
Arousal control used to reduce...
Relaxation primarily about...
training allows you to control/relax quicker (don't have much time during sport to calm yourself down)
Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR)
Systematic tensing and relaxing of major muscle groups
Tension and relaxation are...
Direct way to control arousal levels (blood flow and breathing)
Can reduce cognitive worry/physical tension by breathing and focusing thoughts on relevant stimuli
Need control to be steady, not in bursts
Meditation involving controlled breathing to increase awareness, attention, and relaxation
4 elements of relaxation response training
1. Quiet environment/no distractions (at first, eventually should train in setting similar to performance situation)
2. Comfortable position (sitting, not lying; not always important, important to be able to do it wherever you are)
3. Mental device/'Mantra' (cue word - always use same one)
4. Passive attitude (need to buy into it; must allow this type of therapy for it to work, gets easier with practice)
Times arousal needs to be induced
- Team is lethargic/needs energy
- Easily distracted
- Lack of enthusiasm
- Feelings of heaviness
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Critical Path Analysis
Simple Interest & Simple Discount Formulas
AQA Religious Studies- Worship & Key Beliefs- Budd…
Hinduism Key Terms
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Chapter 12- Vocabulary (Arousal Regulation)
Ch.12 sports and exercise psychology
Sports Psych Chapter 12
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
222 Ch 17 Audition
222 Ch 17 Vision
222 Ch 17 - Gustation
222 Ch 17 - Olfaction