April 2nd- April 9th questions
Terms in this set (9)
How might humility protect against mania and depression?
-accurately seeing your weaknesses may protect against the grandiosity and inflated self-esteem of mania.
- accurately seeing your strengths may protect against the low self-esteem of depression.
What are the the ways that self-control is like using a muscle?
- requires both psychological and physical exertion.
- becomes depleted after it is used
- can grow stronger though regular exercise
What were the finding of Waler Mischel's marshmallow experiment regarding the "grabber" and the "waiter"?
-Grabbers: had low self esteem, were viewed by others as stubborn, were prone to envy and were easily frustrated.
- Waiters: more socially competent, self-assertive, trustworthy, dependable, more academically successful
What were the findings of Robin Langer's experiment regarding those who were and were not assigned to care for plants?
Group with plants: more active, vigorous, sociable and improved in physical health
Group w/o plants: worsened in physical health, more in this group died.
What are the positive outcomes that self-control increases?
-Better personal adjustment - self esteem, self acceptance
- Better relationships - family cohesion, empathy, secure attachments
What are the negative outcomes that self-control reduces?
anxiety, depression, paranoia, relationship conflicts fights arguments, impulse control problems.
What were the top 3 ways to improve self-control?
1. Eliminate objects of temptation
2. Monitor and eliminate distractions
3. start a regular workout routine and make sure to stick with it
What are the two ways that self-efficacy may improve health?
-Anxiety, low self efficacy is strongly related to greater anxiety
- Depression, low self efficacy is strongly associated with depression
What are the bandura's five sources of self-efficacy?
1. Performance experiences
2. Vicarious experiences
3. Verbal persuasion
4. Imaginal experiences
5. Physiological and emotional states
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Personality - Psychology | Setterlund, Feshbach, Weiner, Bohart
Personality-Self-Concept and Self-Processes
Ch 6 Psych of Adjustment
Low Self Esteem
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
what are the four and five...
Vobab exam 3
Terms on SG and Lecture