1).Northwest Airlines applied mathematical models to determine which customers in its database were currently responsible for most of its profitability and which customers were not currently profitable but had similar characteristics to the most profitable customers. Northwest Airlines utilized _____ to identify these customers.
2) Minute Maid sees research as the fundamental first step in any business decision, and it created proprietary methods for conducting research. At what level of the hierarchy of business decision makers does Minute Maid operate?
3) Which of the following questions is considered first when discussing a management dilemma?
What symptoms cause management concern?
4) The goal of ethics in research is to _____.
ensure that no one is harmed(or suffers adverse consequences from research activities
5) _____ occurs when the participants are told only part of the truth or when the truth is fully compromised.
6) The process of stating the basic dilemma and then developing other questions by progressively breaking down the original question into more specific ones is called the _____.
management-research question hierarchy
7) The fundamental weakness in the research process is _____.
incorrectly defining the research question
8) Which type of management question asks what do we want to achieve?
Choice of purpose
9) In the Southeast, the potato chip market share held by the Lays brand is 46%. This is an example of _____.
10) An increase in hours of television viewing leads to increases in the sales of snack foods. This is an example of a _____.
11) To be categorized as a customer, an individual must have a history of shopping at the establishment at least twice before the start of the study with expenditures of more than $10. This is an example of _____.
an operational definition
12) James is entering data on client gender. Because the values entered reflect male or female, this variable is _____.
13) Which variable in an experiment is the variable expected to be affected by the manipulation?
14) Qualitative research seeks to _____ theory while quantitative research _____ it.
15) Which of the following is true of quantitative research?
16) The use of a control group in experimentation _____.
serves as a comparison to asses the manipulation
17) What is the first step in conducting an experiment?
select relevant variables
18) Data originating from studies that are conducted by others and created for a purpose different from the purpose of the study for which the data are being reviewed are called _____ data
19) The goal of a formal study is to _____.
20) A _____ scale is a scale that scores an object or property without making a direct comparison to another object or property.
21).What type of data is produced by simple category scales?
22) _____ is the extent to which a measurement tool actually measures what we wish to measure.
23) The list of elements in a population from which the sample is drawn is known as the _____.
a sampling frame
24) The process of ensuring the accuracy of data and their conversion from raw form into classified forms appropriate for analysis is called _____.
25) _____ involves assigning numbers or other symbols to answers so that the responses can be grouped into a limited number of categories
26) The standard error of the estimate is a type of measure of _____.
27) _____ are summary descriptors of variables of interest in the population
28) The measure of deviation from the mean such that cases stretch toward one tail or the other is called _____.
29) Which of the research questions/hypotheses below is best answered using cross-tabulations?
What percentage of men and women prefer Brand A over Brand B?
30) If a difference is not caused only by random sampling fluctuations, it is said to have _____.