5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is sophocles know for?
- When was Sophocles born
- What were the functions of the chorus?
- what is the parados?
- What is Thespis know for?
- a Creating the first actor/protagonist and dialogue. Also invented theatrical masks
- b sets overall mood and expresses theme, Adds beauty (theatrical effectiveness) through song and dance, Gives background information, Divides action - breaks play into scenes, Usually fifteen members, Adds color, movement, spectacle, Offers reflections on events
- c chorus marching in from the left or right
- d 496 BC
- e Adding a third actor, fixing number of chorus to fifteen, introducing painted scenery, making each play of a trilogy seperate in nature, and making stories about human-human relationship rather than human-god relationships.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Getting trapped in a cave
- circular dancing place of the chorus; where performance is held
- She hangs herself
- Reduced participation of chorus, including ordinary people as characters in plays, realities of war, criticizing of religion, exuberance, tough decisions, and the sudden appearance of a god.
5 True/False questions
Who was Antigone planning to marry? → Polyneices
Who warns creon that the gods side with Antigone? → teiresias
What were the six parts of a Greek Tragedy? → no violence on stage, no lighting, always outdoors, no curtains, no intermissions, off scene info relayed by messenger, continuous presence of chorus on sage, simple plots, action took place in a single day, and one scene plays.
When did Sophocles die? → 406 BC
What is a theatron? → where the audience sat