5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- When was Sophocles born
- what is the parados?
- By what method is Antigone sentenced to death?
- What is the orchestra?
- What was the Thymele?
- a chorus marching in from the left or right
- b Getting trapped in a cave
- c circular dancing place of the chorus; where performance is held
- d altar to Dionysus on which sacrifices were made, and which was sometimes used as a stage prop
- e 496 BC
5 Multiple choice questions
- wooden building with three doors through which actors made their entrances and exits
- She hangs herself
- Creon and Antigone
- sets overall mood and expresses theme, Adds beauty (theatrical effectiveness) through song and dance, Gives background information, Divides action - breaks play into scenes, Usually fifteen members, Adds color, movement, spectacle, Offers reflections on events
5 True/False questions
When did Sophocles die? → 406 BC
What is Thespis know for? → Creating the first actor/protagonist and dialogue. Also invented theatrical masks
What were the six parts of a Greek Tragedy? → no violence on stage, no lighting, always outdoors, no curtains, no intermissions, off scene info relayed by messenger, continuous presence of chorus on sage, simple plots, action took place in a single day, and one scene plays.
Who was Antigone planning to marry? → Haemon
Who does Creon honor after the battle? → Eteocles