5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- All of the following are true of high quality protein except
A) it can support body maintenance.
B) it can support body growth.
C) it provides 7 kcal/g of energy.
D) it contains all essential amino acids.
- Which of the following is not true about pepsin?
A) Acid activates pepsin.
B) Pepsin works best in an alkaline environment.
C) Pepsin acts on food in the stomach.
D) Amino acid chains are the digestive products of its action.
- Which of the following is a food that provides adequate amounts all of the essential amino acids?
A) Peanut butter
B) Navy beans
- The basic structure of an amino acid is C carbon atom with four different elements/groups bonded to it. The carbon has a hydrogen atom attached, a carboxyl group (acid group), a __________ , and a generic "R" group, which identifies the amino acid.
A) sulfhydryl group
B) hydroxyl group
C) amino group
D) methyl group
- Plant proteins do not match our needs for essential amino acids and therefore are called _______________ proteins.
- a B
- b C - it provides 7 kcal/g of energy
- c C - amino group
- d incomplete
- e C - milk
5 Multiple choice questions
- D - sickle cell anemia
- C - Stomach and small intestine
- D - acting as buffers
5 True/False questions
All of the following are essential amino acids except
D) alanine. → D - alanine
What enzyme is released by the stomach to digest protein?
B) Lipoprotein lipase
D) Amylase → B
Wilma is an alcoholic. Her liver has been damaged to such a degree that it cannot produce the appropriate blood proteins for fluid balance. She develops a condition called edema, which is
A) cardiovascular disease.
B) extreme thirst.
C) loss of muscle mass.
D) the build up of fluids in extracellular spaces. → C - the size of his vital organs
Which of the following is true about protein?
A) It is made up of combinations of approximately 20 amino acids.
B) It is made up of combinations of amino acids and fatty acids.
C) It is unique in that it is the only dietary component that contains selenium.
D) It is important primarily for increasing bone density. → A
High protein diets may be harmful for
A) the elderly.
C) body builders.
D) those with kidney disease. → B