5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The most reliable source of vitamin B12 for the vegan would be
A) fortified soybean milk.
- Which of the following is not true about pepsin?
A) Acid activates pepsin.
B) Pepsin works best in an alkaline environment.
C) Pepsin acts on food in the stomach.
D) Amino acid chains are the digestive products of its action.
- Which of the following is a food that provides adequate amounts all of the essential amino acids?
A) Peanut butter
B) Navy beans
- A hereditary condition caused by an incorrect amino acid in the amino acid sequence of a protein chain is
D) sickle cell anemia.
- Wilma is an alcoholic. Her liver has been damaged to such a degree that it cannot produce the appropriate blood proteins for fluid balance. She develops a condition called edema, which is
A) cardiovascular disease.
B) extreme thirst.
C) loss of muscle mass.
D) the build up of fluids in extracellular spaces.
- a D - sickle cell anemia
- b A
- c D - the build up of fluids in extracellular spaces
- d B
- e C - milk
5 Multiple choice questions
- C - pepsin
- D - 0.8
- D - acting as buffers
5 True/False questions
The basic structure of an amino acid is C carbon atom with four different elements/groups bonded to it. The carbon has a hydrogen atom attached, a carboxyl group (acid group), a __________ , and a generic "R" group, which identifies the amino acid.
A) sulfhydryl group
B) hydroxyl group
C) amino group
D) methyl group → C - amino group
What is meant by the amino acid sequence of a protein?
A) Number of side chains in the protein
B) Order of appearance of amino acids in the peptide chain
C) Order of appearance of only the essential amino acids in the protein
D) Folding arrangement of the peptide chain → C - pepsin
The nitrogen from amino acid breakdown is
A) oxidized to carbohydrate.
B) converted to urea.
C) stored in the liver.
D) converted to fat. → D - those with kidney disease
When protein consumption is in excess of body needs and energy needs are met, the excess amino acids are metabolized and the energy in the molecule is
A) stored as glycogen and/or fat.
B) stored as amino acids in the liver.
C) excreted in the urine.
D) stored as amino acids in muscle. → A
Plant proteins do not match our needs for essential amino acids and therefore are called _______________ proteins. → incomplete