5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- A hereditary condition caused by an incorrect amino acid in the amino acid sequence of a protein chain is
D) sickle cell anemia.
- Proteins are digested in which areas of the body?
A) Small and large intestines
B) Mouth and stomach
C) Stomach and small intestine
D) Mouth and small intestine
- All of the following are essential amino acids except
- The nitrogen from amino acid breakdown is
A) oxidized to carbohydrate.
B) converted to urea.
C) stored in the liver.
D) converted to fat.
- All of the following are true of high quality protein except
A) it can support body maintenance.
B) it can support body growth.
C) it provides 7 kcal/g of energy.
D) it contains all essential amino acids.
- a D - alanine
- b C - it provides 7 kcal/g of energy
- c D - sickle cell anemia
- d C - Stomach and small intestine
- e B
5 Multiple choice questions
- C - amino group
5 True/False questions
Approximately how many different amino acids are used in the synthesis of body proteins?
D) 20 → peptide
Proteins regulate the acid-base balance of the blood by
A) releasing an acid.
B) binding sodium ions.
C) releasing nitrogen.
D) acting as buffers → D - acting as buffers
The most reliable source of vitamin B12 for the vegan would be
A) fortified soybean milk.
D) eggs. → A
Which of the following is true about protein?
A) It is made up of combinations of approximately 20 amino acids.
B) It is made up of combinations of amino acids and fatty acids.
C) It is unique in that it is the only dietary component that contains selenium.
D) It is important primarily for increasing bone density. → A
High protein diets may be harmful for
A) the elderly.
C) body builders.
D) those with kidney disease. → D - those with kidney disease