5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- All of the following are essential amino acids except
- What enzyme is released by the stomach to digest protein?
B) Lipoprotein lipase
- All of the following are true of high quality protein except
A) it can support body maintenance.
B) it can support body growth.
C) it provides 7 kcal/g of energy.
D) it contains all essential amino acids.
- Wilma is an alcoholic. Her liver has been damaged to such a degree that it cannot produce the appropriate blood proteins for fluid balance. She develops a condition called edema, which is
A) cardiovascular disease.
B) extreme thirst.
C) loss of muscle mass.
D) the build up of fluids in extracellular spaces.
- A hereditary condition caused by an incorrect amino acid in the amino acid sequence of a protein chain is
D) sickle cell anemia.
- a D - alanine
- b D - sickle cell anemia
- c C - it provides 7 kcal/g of energy
- d C - pepsin
- e D - the build up of fluids in extracellular spaces
5 Multiple choice questions
- C - the size of his vital organs
- D - 0.8
5 True/False questions
Proteins are digested in which areas of the body?
A) Small and large intestines
B) Mouth and stomach
C) Stomach and small intestine
D) Mouth and small intestine → D - acting as buffers
When protein consumption is in excess of body needs and energy needs are met, the excess amino acids are metabolized and the energy in the molecule is
A) stored as glycogen and/or fat.
B) stored as amino acids in the liver.
C) excreted in the urine.
D) stored as amino acids in muscle. → A
High protein diets may be harmful for
A) the elderly.
C) body builders.
D) those with kidney disease. → D - those with kidney disease
Which of the following is true about protein?
A) It is made up of combinations of approximately 20 amino acids.
B) It is made up of combinations of amino acids and fatty acids.
C) It is unique in that it is the only dietary component that contains selenium.
D) It is important primarily for increasing bone density. → B
Plant proteins do not match our needs for essential amino acids and therefore are called _______________ proteins. → A