5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The nitrogen from amino acid breakdown is
A) oxidized to carbohydrate.
B) converted to urea.
C) stored in the liver.
D) converted to fat.
- A hereditary condition caused by an incorrect amino acid in the amino acid sequence of a protein chain is
D) sickle cell anemia.
- Wilma is an alcoholic. Her liver has been damaged to such a degree that it cannot produce the appropriate blood proteins for fluid balance. She develops a condition called edema, which is
A) cardiovascular disease.
B) extreme thirst.
C) loss of muscle mass.
D) the build up of fluids in extracellular spaces.
- The most reliable source of vitamin B12 for the vegan would be
A) fortified soybean milk.
- In proteins, amino acids are joined by _______________ bonds
- a D - sickle cell anemia
- b B
- c peptide
- d A
- e D - the build up of fluids in extracellular spaces
5 Multiple choice questions
- C - Stomach and small intestine
- C - it provides 7 kcal/g of energy
- D - acting as buffers
- C - amino group
5 True/False questions
Plant proteins do not match our needs for essential amino acids and therefore are called _______________ proteins. → incomplete
When protein consumption is in excess of body needs and energy needs are met, the excess amino acids are metabolized and the energy in the molecule is
A) stored as glycogen and/or fat.
B) stored as amino acids in the liver.
C) excreted in the urine.
D) stored as amino acids in muscle. → incomplete
Jack weighs 176 pounds. What would be his RDA for protein?
A) 27 grams
B) 64 grams
C) 80 grams
D) 10 grams → C - pepsin
Which of the following is true about protein?
A) It is made up of combinations of approximately 20 amino acids.
B) It is made up of combinations of amino acids and fatty acids.
C) It is unique in that it is the only dietary component that contains selenium.
D) It is important primarily for increasing bone density. → B
Today the best estimate for the amount of protein required for nearly all adults is _____ grams per kilogram body weight per day.
D) 0.8 → D - 0.8