Create an account
3) The involuntary internal urethral sphincter is composed of skeletal muscle.
False, it is composed of smooth muscle
4) The functions of the alimentary canal include ingestion, digestion, absorption, and defecation.
7) Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are primarily infections of the reproductive tracts but may also cause urinary tract infections.
9) The lungs of the fetus are filled with air late in pregnancy.
False, they are filled shortly after birth
14) In fetal circulation, blood travels directly from the right atrium to the left atrium through the foramen ovale.
16) Hematopoiesis refers to the formation of blood cells within the red marrow cavities of certain bones.
21) Hypersecretion of growth hormone during childhood leads to pituitary dwarfism.
FALSE, it leads to pituitary gigantism
22) The olfactory receptors are responsible for the sense of taste.
FALSE, they are responsible for the detection of odor molecules..
23) The bony labyrinth of the internal ear consists of the cochlea, vestibule, and the semicircular canals.
24) The neurotransmitter used by the nervous system to activate skeletal muscle cells is acetylcholine.
26) The choroid consists of an outer, pigmented layer and an inner, neural layer which is home to rods and cones.
27) The large intestine extends from the pyloric sphincter to the anus.
FALSE, The large intestine extends from the end of the ileum to the anus
28) Gray matter contains collections of unmyelinated fibers and cell bodies in the central nervous system.
31) The region of the renal tubule closest to the glomerular capsule is the distal convoluted tubule.
32) The ascending colon is found on the left side of the abdominal cavity.
FALSE, it is on the right side.
35) The lymph nodes filter bacteria, viruses, and tumor cells from blood on its way back to the heart.
37) The function of the C-rings of hyaline cartilage in the trachea is to keep the airway patent or open for breathing.
41) Dendrites release neurotransmitters into the extracellular space during nerve impulse transmissions.
47) The most important function of the thymus gland is to destroy worn-out red blood cells and return some of the products to the liver.
48) Blood proteins and blood cells are too large to pass through the filtration membrane and should not be found in filtrate.
50) Proteins are broken down into building blocks known as amino acids by the digestive system.
52) The last two pairs of ribs are called true ribs because they have no anterior attachments.
55) Vaccines provide naturally acquired active immunity to diseases such as pneumonia, diphtheria, and measles.
65) Membranes that line body cavities that have openings to the exterior of the body are called mucous membranes.
68) The pinkish hue of healthy individuals with fair skin is the result of the crimson color of oxygenated hemoglobin circulating in the dermal capillaries and reflecting through the dermis.
71) The four most common elements in the human body, in order of descending quantity, are hydrogen, carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen.
76) The larynx routes air and food into their proper channel and plays an important role in speech production.
80) The lymphatic system collects fluids leaked by the cardiovascular system and returns them to the bloodstream.
84) Artificially acquired passive immunity is conferred when one receives immune serum for poisonous snake bites.
90) Sperm are matured and ejaculated from the epididymis and ductus (vas) deferens during ejaculation.
98. The testes produce ____.a. estrogen b. progesterone c. insulin d. none of the above
D NONE OF THE ABOVE
99. The ovaries produce _____. a. estrogen b. progesterone c. insulin d. both A and B
D. ESTROGEN AND PROGESTERONE
100. Melatonin helps to regulate the ____. a. blood flow b. backflow of blood c. capillary action with the plasma d. none of the above
107) The body's first line of defense against the invasion of disease-causing microorganisms is:
SKIN AND MUCUS MEMBRANES
108) Which lymphatic organ's major job is to destroy worn-out red blood cells and return some of the products to the liver:
Which one of the following alimentary segments has NO digestive function:A) ascending colon B) duodenum C) esophagus D) stomach E) ileum
116) Deoxygenated blood is returned to the right side of the heart by the:
superior and inferior vena cavae
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together