Upgrade to remove ads
Art Test 3 Chapter 9
Terms in this set (56)
With the digital revolution, what two things became intertwined?
The first true computer?
was on electronic machines that could be programmed to process information in the form of data, built around 1938.
It wasn't until the 19th century a way was found to do what?
capture and preserve projected images
How was photography born?
when a way was found in the 19th century to capture and preserve projected images
- Chinese Philosopher
- Noticed light passing through a pinhole opening into a darkened chamber would form an exact view of the world outside, but upside down
- The earliest written record of the principle behind photography is from who?
- Greek philosopher
- Observed a similar situation as Mo Ti a century later and wondered what caused it
- Also known as Alhazen
- His work circulated in translation in Europe scientist continued his investigation into behavior of light
- Arab mathematician and physicist set up an experiment in a dark room in which light from several candles passed through a pinhole, projected images of the candle flames
- Concluded that light travels in straight lines and he theorized that the human eye worked along this same principle
Abu Ali Hasan Ibn al-Haitham
-Developed to harness Alhazen principles
- Developed in the Renaissance
- W/ the development of lenses during the 16th century the ________ _____ could be made to focus the image it projected
- Welcomed by Artist as a drawing tool
ex: an image of the _____ _____ appeared in a book called The Great Art of Light and Shadow
- French inventor
- Worked with a specially coated peuter plate in the camera obscura
- He managed to record a fuzzy version of the view from his window after an exposure of 8 hours
- His "heliograph" to be the first permanent photograph the method was not really practical
- When he died his son Isidore continued his experiment
Joseph Nicephore Niecpe
- Also experimenting with methods to dix the photographic image
- Made the breakthrough, recording an image in his studio that was dear and sharp, by methods that others could duplicate easily
- Named his invention Daguerrotype
- Created the image Le Boulevard de Temple
- His plate needed to be exposed to sunlight for 10-20 minutes before taking a photo
Louis Jacques Mande Daguerre
What two people worked separately and communicated in code to keep their process from prying eyes ?
Daguerre and Niepce
From where came an improved lens that gathered 16 times as much light as previous lenses, further reducing exposure time to around 30 secs.
What was poised to become the first commercially viable method for making permanent images from reflected light?
What is an image in which light and dark values appear correctly, this image is unique and cannot be reproduced. The plate is the photography.
What is an image in which light and dark values were reversed. This could be used again and again to create multiple positive images on light-sensitive paper.
Photography found what?
it is essential as an art of potentially unlimited, low-cost multiples.
What was an early version of the negative/positive print process was the ______, which used a paper negative?
- English woman
- One of the finest portraitist of the time (amateur)
- Drew on her friendship to create memorable portraits
- explored more poetic effects
Julia Margaret Cameron
Developed a camera called Kodak in 1888
By the 1880s technical advances had reduced exposure time to what?
a fraction of a second
- American Indian
- Captured/ created The Crow Camp image. The view is a view from inside "now we see ourselves, this is what is important to us."
Photographs are what ?
bearing witness to events that appear in newspapers and magazines over the world
What is photomechanical reproduction?
high-speed printing of photographs
-Travel for the FSA
- Best known image from this time is Migrant Mother
- Created A Family Kamathipara Mumbai Maharastra
- Devoted much of his career to documenting life in the vast and varied subcontinent of India.
In a movement called pictorialism photographs used what?
a variety of techniques to undercut the objectivity of the camera, producing gauzy, atmosphere images that seemed more painterly and thus more like art.
- American pictorialism
- Grew dissatisfied with pictorialism
- He came to the conclusion that for photography to be an art, it must be true to its own nature; it should not try to be painting
- The steerage most closely associated with Stieglitz idea.
Became known as "pure" or "straight" photography
- Spent his life photographing the landscape of the American west, especially the unspoiled beauties of our natural parks
- One of the most famous adherents of pure photographs
- Believed a good photographer had to be able to visualize the finished composition in advance
- Create a system calibrating all aspects of the photographic process: exposure, development, and printing: with this approach he emphasized that photography was a product of science and that only by understanding the science of it called photographer produce art.
Ansel Adam `
- First artist to look critically at photography
- Created Cut With the Kitchen Knife she belonged to the art movement called Dada.
Why was Dada formed?
As a reaction to the unprecedented slaughter of WW1
- Best known as Man Ray
- Formed by the ideas of Dada
- Initially learned photography to document his painting
- Invented a technique called Rayograph also known as Rayogram
What was one complaint against photography?
it recorded the world in black and white instead of full color
Many photographers for decades prefers what? and why?
black and white
felt that color lacked dignity and was suitable only for commercial photography
- Uses photography to create images of herself as someone else.
Who used the computer to scan 2 or more large color negatives into the computer. He merges them into a single image, which he modifies until he is satisfied with every detail. Created an image called Shanghai.?
Who use the computer to download images he finds on the internet, for substrata series (meaning underlayers)?
- Known as photographer of landscapes
- Hired by Leland Standford to photograph one of his racehorses.
- Published Animal Locomotion, his most important work.
- Experiments had two direct descendants: stop motion photography and continuous motion photography.
Who introduced Celluliod film which made 4 possible to string images together.
- In 1895 succeeded in building a workable film projector.
- A Trip to the Moon : 14 minute film, Used painted scenery
- French Filmaker
- Created sophisticated special effects
- Famous for his comic strip captain nemo
- Most famous film was Gertie the Trained Dinosaur.
- One of the most influential early masters of filming
- Became interested in the expressive possibilities of editing, including changing the rhythm of how quickly one shot succeeded another, etc.
- Battleship Potemkin
What are cuts-cuts ?
where either the figures or the background change abruptly interrupting the smooth visual flow - abound
- One of the leading artists of the pop art movement during the 1960s.
- Filmed kiss and Empire
What is the most famous monitor?
- First artists to work with video
- Fascinated by the evolving styles and designs of TV as by the moving video image.
- Wants us to be aware of the entire mechanism of the relationship. Past and future confront each other here.
Nam June Paik
- Projects video onto "other surfaces" - fiberglass sculptures that the video transforms into talking heads
- Created Coo
Digital video gives artists access to what?
The same programs that today's filmmakers use for editing, adding a soundtrack, and creating special effects
- Projected shows how the worlds of the video artist and the filmmaker have drawn closer together.
- Completed a series inspired by women without men
What became a gateway to a new kind of public space?
Art that uses the internet as a medium is known as what?
Net art has what?
Typically taken the form of e-mails, web pages, or software- a set of step by step instructions that can be executed by a computer
- Screening Circle
- One artist who works with aspects of the internet
- Had video cameras installed facing 3 sites: The television tower in Berlin, The skyline of lower Manhattan, and a monastery in Germany
- Created a 30 minute film called i.Mirrior
i.Mirror is an example of a new artistic practice called what?
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Art ch. 11, Ch. 12 Art, Ch. 13 Art
Art 181: Chap 18 - Islam & Africa
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Art Appreciation Ch. 9
Art Appreciation Ch. 9-11
Chapter 9 - Camera and Computer Arts
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Skin integrity and Wound care
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
domain and kingdom classification
Kemi prov 3/12
Part 2: MGT 420 Exam 3 Study Guide