5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- True or false: The difference between role and status is that we occupy a status and play a role.
- The two anthropologists who studied the Hopi Indians and concluded that language has embedded within it ways of looking at the world were ________.
- Suicide bombers in Iraq are accorded high praise by those who oppose an American presence in the Middle East and are considered heroic warriors. Such honor and praise is an example of a ________.
- True or false: The text points out a number of high-profile examples of white-collar crime by large corporations for which violators never went to jail.
- a True
- b Edward Sapir and Benjamin Whorf
- c positive sanction
- d TRue
5 Multiple choice questions
- role performance
5 True/False questions
True or false: Language allows culture to develop by freeing people to move beyond their immediate experiences. → True
John was adopted as an infant by the Smiths, and has always considered them his real family. What do sociologists classify the Smith family as it is regarded by John? → one race is superior to another; pure races exist
True or False: Despite her acclaimed research on social life, until recently Harriet Martineau was best known for translating Comte's works on sociology into English. → False
An emerging value in the U.S. that emphasizes "becoming all that you can be" is an example of ________. → self-fulfillment
Sociologically, what is a blended family? → socialization