5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- sex pili
- nuclear pore
- a aerobic rod-shaped spore-producing bacterium
- b A structure in an animal cell composed of cylinders of microtubule triplets arranged in a 9 + 0 pattern. An animal cell usually has a pair of centrioles involved in cell division.
- c Colorless plastids that synthesize and store starches and oils
- d elongated, hollow appendages that pull 2 cells together prior to DNA transfer from one cell to the other found in bacterium
- e opening in the nuclear envelope that permits the passage of proteins into the nucleus and ribosomal subunits out of the nucleus
5 Multiple choice questions
- group of closely related plant organelles that are used for storage of starches, lipids, or pigments; includes chloroplasts, chromoplasts, and amyloplasts (leucoplasts).
- enzyme-filled vesicle in which fatty acids and amino acids are metabolized to hydrogen peroxide that is broken down to harmless products
- Infoldings of the inner membrane of a mitochondrion that houses the electon transport chain and the enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of ATP.
- A network of membranes inside eukarytoic cells invovled in lipid synthesis (steroid in gonads), detoxification (in liver cells), and/or Ca2+ storage (muscle cells); lacks ribosomes on the surface
- any spherical or nearly spherical bacteria
5 True/False questions
prokaryotic cell → A type of cell with a membrane-enclosed nucleus and membrane-enclosed organelles. Examples of organisms with these cells are protists, plants, fungi, and animals; organisms are in the Eukarya domain
surface-area-to volume ratio → ratio of a cell's outside area to its internal volume
nuclear envelope → in a prokaryotic cell, the portion composed of the plasma membrane, the cell wall and the gycocalyx
flagellum → a lash-like appendage used for locomotion (e.g., in sperm cells and some bacteria and protozoa)
motor molecule → A hollow rod of tubulin protein in the cytoplasm of all eukaryotic cells and in cilia, flagella, and the cytoskeleton.