5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- smooth endoplasmic reticulum
- cell envelope
- rough endoplasmic reticulum
- a System of internal membranes within the cytoplasm. Membranes have the presence of ribosomes; functions in transport of substances such as proteins within the cytoplasm
- b A network of membranes inside eukarytoic cells invovled in lipid synthesis (steroid in gonads), detoxification (in liver cells), and/or Ca2+ storage (muscle cells); lacks ribosomes on the surface
- c in a prokaryotic cell, the portion composed of the plasma membrane, the cell wall and the gycocalyx
- d Region in prokaryotic cell where DNA is concentrated, not enclosed by membrane
- e The complex of DNA and proteins that makes up a eukaryotic chromosome. When the cell is not dividing, it exists as a mass of very long, thin fibers that are not visible with a light microscope.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A stacked portion of the thylakoid membrane in the chloroplast; functions in the light reactions of photosynthesis.
- The organelle where ribosomes are made, synthesized and partially assembled, located in the nucleus
- strong wall outside a plant cell's plasma membrane that protects the cell and maintains its shape
- A type of cell lacking a membrane-enclosed nucleus and membrane-enclosed organelles; found only in the domains Bacteria and Archaea.
- A short cellular appendage specialized for locomotion, formed from a core of nine outer doublet microtubules and two inner single microtubules ensheathed in an extension of plasma membrane.
5 True/False questions
inclusion body → in a bacterium, stored nutrients for later use
coccus → any spherical or nearly spherical bacteria
actin filament → muscle protein filament in a sarcomere; its movement shortens the sarcomere, yielding muscle contraction. Actin filaments play a role in the movement of the cell and its organelles
bacillus → A short cellular appendage specialized for locomotion, formed from a core of nine outer doublet microtubules and two inner single microtubules ensheathed in an extension of plasma membrane.
mitochondrion → in eukaryotic cells, the cell organelle that is surrounded by two membranes and that is the site of cellular respiration, which produces ATP