5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- cell wall
- plasma membrane
- rough endoplasmic reticulum
- a A layer of exopolysaccharide fibers on the surface of bacterial cells which may be involved in adherence to a surface. Sometimes a general term for a bacterial capsules; if compact called capsule and if diffuse, called slime layer
- b System of internal membranes within the cytoplasm. Membranes have the presence of ribosomes; functions in transport of substances such as proteins within the cytoplasm
- c strong wall outside a plant cell's plasma membrane that protects the cell and maintains its shape
- d group of closely related plant organelles that are used for storage of starches, lipids, or pigments; includes chloroplasts, chromoplasts, and amyloplasts (leucoplasts).
- e thin outer boundary of a cell composed of a bilayer of phospholipids in which proteins are embedded that regulates the traffic of chemicals between the cell and its surroundings
5 Multiple choice questions
- A eukaryotic cell organelle consisting of a 9 + 0 arrangement of microtubule triplets; may organize the microtubule assembly of a cilium or flagellum; structurally identical to a centriole.
- a microscopic network of actin filaments and microtubules in the cytoplasm of many living cells that gives the cell shape and coherence
- the smallest unit that can perform all life processes; cells are covered by a membrane and contain DNA and cytoplasm
- ratio of a cell's outside area to its internal volume
- The collection of membranes inside and around a eukaryotic cell, related either through direct physical contact or by the transfer of membranous vesicles; includes the smooth and rough endoplasmic reticulum, the Golgi apparatus, lysosomes, and vacuoles.
5 True/False questions
ribosome → membrane-bound sac containing digestive enzymes that can break down proteins, nucleic acids, and polysaccharides
prokaryotic cell → A type of cell lacking a membrane-enclosed nucleus and membrane-enclosed organelles; found only in the domains Bacteria and Archaea.
cristae → Infoldings of the inner membrane of a mitochondrion that houses the electon transport chain and the enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of ATP.
vesicle → small membrane-bound sac that functions in moving products into, out of, and within a cell
cell theory → strong wall outside a plant cell's plasma membrane that protects the cell and maintains its shape