Create an account
3. The first confrontation of the Cold War took place in:
d. the Middle East, when Soviet troops occupied northern Iran seeking access to oil fields.
4. According to the policy of containment, as laid out by George Kennan, the:
c. United States was committed to preventing the spread of communism.
5. In his "Long Telegram" from Moscow, George Kennan:
a. advised Truman that the Soviets could be dealt with as a normal government.
8. What set a precedent for American assistance to anticommunist regimes throughout the world, no matter how undemocratic?
d. the Truman Doctrine
11. Japan's constitution, which Americans had written, provided for the first time in Japanese history:
c. women's suffrage.
13. How did the United States respond to Joseph Stalin's blockade around Berlin?
a. Truman ordered that supplies be brought to Berlin via an airlift.
14. Which statement is true about the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)?
e. All the members pledged mutual defense against any future Soviet attack.
19. Which statement best describes what NSC-68 called for?
b. a permanent military buildup and a global application of containment
20. Which statement about the Korean conflict is FALSE?
b. Chinese troops threatened to enter the conflict, but never did.
26. "Militant Liberty" was the code name for a national security agency that:
b. encouraged Hollywood to produce anticommunist movies.
28. To wage the cultural Cold War, the Central Intelligence Agency and Defense Department:
c. funded an array of artistic publications, concerts, performances, and exhibits.
30. In 1948, Eleanor Roosevelt chaired a committee to draft the:
d. Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
32. The principle of human rights—the idea of basic rights belonging to all persons because they are human—was introduced into international relations:
d. in the late eighteenth century during the American and French Revolutions.
35. All of the following statements are true of the Fair Deal EXCEPT:
b. Congress passed Truman's Fair Deal to raise the standard of living for Americans.
38. Which piece of American legislation stated that union leaders had to swear an oath that they were not communists?
c. Taft-Hartley Act
41. Which civil rights measure was passed into law during Truman's administration?
b. desegregation of the armed forces
45. The 1948 presidential race:
b. was the last presidential race to occur before television forever changed campaigning.
46. All of the following statements about the Cold War's impact on American life are true EXCEPT:
e. Cold War military spending weakened the economy.
47. What reason did the Hollywood Ten give for not cooperating with the HUAC hearings?
d. They felt the hearings were a violation of the First Amendment.
51. Joe McCarthy announced that he had a list of 205 communists who worked for the:
a. State Department.
52. The McCarran-Walter Act:
d. authorized the deportation of communists, even if they were naturalized citizens.
55. The impact of the Cold War on the civil rights movement:
c. included government action against black leaders.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together