1. The Freedom Train was:
a. a traveling exhibition of over 100 historical documents.
2. After World War II, the only nation that could rival the United States was:
a. the Soviet Union.
3. The first confrontation of the Cold War took place in:
d. the Middle East, when Soviet troops occupied northern Iran seeking access to oil fields.
4. According to the policy of containment, as laid out by George Kennan, the:
c. United States was committed to preventing the spread of communism.
5. In his "Long Telegram" from Moscow, George Kennan:
a. advised Truman that the Soviets could be dealt with as a normal government.
6. The "Iron Curtain":
a. separated the free West from the communist East.
7. The Truman Doctrine:
e. committed the United States to fighting communism anywhere.
8. What set a precedent for American assistance to anticommunist regimes throughout the world, no matter how undemocratic?
d. the Truman Doctrine
9. The Marshall Plan:
b. was a United States-Soviet program to rebuild Europe.
10. After World War II ended, Japan:
d. received economic assistance from the United States.
11. Japan's constitution, which Americans had written, provided for the first time in Japanese history:
c. women's suffrage.
12. In 1948, the Soviets began the Berlin Blockade:
e. in response to the creation of West Germany.
13. How did the United States respond to Joseph Stalin's blockade around Berlin?
a. Truman ordered that supplies be brought to Berlin via an airlift.
14. Which statement is true about the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)?
e. All the members pledged mutual defense against any future Soviet attack.
a. was an alliance between the United States and several Western European countries.
16. All of the following are enactments of the policy of containment EXCEPT:
d. the Korean War
17. In 1949, Mao Zedong:
b. led a successful communist revolution in China.
c. called for a massive increase in U.S. military forces.
19. Which statement best describes what NSC-68 called for?
b. a permanent military buildup and a global application of containment
20. Which statement about the Korean conflict is FALSE?
b. Chinese troops threatened to enter the conflict, but never did.
21. The Korean War:
d. ended in a stalemate.
22. Southeast Asia Treaty Organization (SEATO):
a. replaced NATO in Europe.
23. Which long-held U.S. territory was granted independence in 1946?
24. The movements for colonial independence:
c. generally had U.S. support.
25. The impact of the Cold War on American culture was:
a. especially evident in the movies.
26. "Militant Liberty" was the code name for a national security agency that:
b. encouraged Hollywood to produce anticommunist movies.
27. Who led the New York School of painters?
c. Jackson Pollack
28. To wage the cultural Cold War, the Central Intelligence Agency and Defense Department:
c. funded an array of artistic publications, concerts, performances, and exhibits.
29. The McCarran Internal Security Act:
d. barred "totalitarians" from entering the United States.
30. In 1948, Eleanor Roosevelt chaired a committee to draft the:
d. Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
31. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
c. included freedom of speech and religion.
32. The principle of human rights—the idea of basic rights belonging to all persons because they are human—was introduced into international relations:
d. in the late eighteenth century during the American and French Revolutions.
33. When World War II ended:
b. demobilization proceeded quickly.
34. President Truman's Fair Deal included:
d. a national health insurance plan.
35. All of the following statements are true of the Fair Deal EXCEPT:
b. Congress passed Truman's Fair Deal to raise the standard of living for Americans.
36. Operation Dixie was:
b. the postwar union campaign in the South.
37. The Taft-Hartley Act:
a. outlawed the closed shop.
38. Which piece of American legislation stated that union leaders had to swear an oath that they were not communists?
c. Taft-Hartley Act
39. Jackie Robinson:
c. broke the color barrier in major league baseball.
40. President Truman's civil rights plan called for all of the following EXCEPT:
41. Which civil rights measure was passed into law during Truman's administration?
b. desegregation of the armed forces
42. The Dixiecrats:
b. opposed desegregation in the South.
43. Who did the States' Rights Party nominate for president in 1948?
a. Strom Thurmond
44. In 1948, the Progressive Party:
a. advocated expanded social welfare programs.
45. The 1948 presidential race:
b. was the last presidential race to occur before television forever changed campaigning.
46. All of the following statements about the Cold War's impact on American life are true EXCEPT:
e. Cold War military spending weakened the economy.
47. What reason did the Hollywood Ten give for not cooperating with the HUAC hearings?
d. They felt the hearings were a violation of the First Amendment.
48. The Hollywood Ten:
b. refused to name names.
49. Who did Whittaker Chambers accuse of being a soviet spy during a HUAC hearing?
c. Alger Hiss
50. Julius and Ethel Rosenberg:
c. were executed after a questionable trial.
51. Joe McCarthy announced that he had a list of 205 communists who worked for the:
a. State Department.
52. The McCarran-Walter Act:
d. authorized the deportation of communists, even if they were naturalized citizens.
53. Operation Wetback:
a. deported illegal aliens found in Mexican-American neighborhoods.
54. Organized labor emerged as:
b. a major supporter of the foreign policy of the Cold War.
55. The impact of the Cold War on the civil rights movement:
c. included government action against black leaders.
56. What do the authors of NSC-68 identify as the "most contagious idea in history"?
57. In "Who Is Loyal to America?" Henry Steele Commager:
b. favors the new meaning given to loyalty: conformity.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions above and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.