Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
SOCIOLOGY 201 PEREZ EXAM 2
Terms in this set (10)
Berger and Luckmann
SOCIAL CONSTRUCTION OF REALITY
"We do not first see, then define, we define first, then see" —> society does not exist without a framework ; in order to understand the reality of the social word, we have to define it first!
- We have to understand the social significance of someone before we understandthem
- We judge books by its cover (Susan Boyle)
SOCIAL CONSTRUCTION OF REALITY
"Situations that are define as real are real in their consequences" - When we agree that something is going on, the outcome is understood. Once we agree on the nature of a situation, we understand how to act
(Rachel Dolezal/ white lady who thinks she's black) "Thomas Theorem states that situations that are real are real in their consequences. In R.D's case, she's claiming a consequence that is not accurate to her situation."
PRESENTATION OF SELF
- People shape reality intentionally ; social interaction is, therefore, acting. This perspective is called DRAMATURGY
o Presentation of self
o Sexuality as performance
o Commercial realism
o Impression management in virtual worlds
George Herbert Mead
THEORY OF SELF...
Taking the role of the other
- Seeing ourselves as we think others see us
- " The self emerges and becomes established through our relationships and interactions with others. Through these interactions, we learn to take the role of others and see ourselves as social objects. This capacity is the essence of selfhood."
LOOKING GLASS SELF
- What we think of ourselves (self-image) depends on how we think other people see us
1. We imagine how others see us!
2. We imagine how others are judging us!
3. We react accordingly !
-We imagine how we appear to other people, we imagine how other people judge the appearance we think we present, if we think our evaluation is favorable, self-concept is enhanced
- How childhood experiences shape us as adults
- Your parents social class is a good predictor of your adult social class but we don't really know why
- How social class is reproduced through different parenting style through approaches of: (1)Natural Growth & (2)Concerted Cultivation
CONCERTED CULTIVATION- Middle-class kids
- Parents actively fosters and assesses child's talents opinions and skills
- Child has an emerging sense of entitlement
ACCOMPLISHMENT OF NATURAL GROWTH- Working-class kids
- Parent cares for child and allows child to grow
- Child has an emerging sense of constraint
INEQUALITY AND CHILDHOOD ENVIORNMENTS
- We are socialized throughout the life course into consumption, consumerism, and commodification"
- Commodities express connections to self and others
- The "economy of dignity" system by which children make themselves audible, therefore present, and thus mattering to their peers
- Toys "come alive with local meanings"
Children participate in the economy of dignity with material items
- Contrary to the myth that children were free from economics, their lives were entirely tied into their parents' class status.
- Based on the stories of toys coming to life...LOVE and NEED is a response to the distanced relationship of capitalism, and that these stories of toys reveal and increasing expansion of capitalism into all areas of human life including children
"Inevitably we construct ourselves...I enter this house and immediately I become what I have to become, what I can become : I construct myself. That is, I present myself to you in a form s!uitable to the relationship I wish to achieve with you. And, of course, you do the same with me.
- Being social involve socialization- the process by which various representatives of society teach people the ways of society and, in doing so, form their basic qualities —> we need socialization for survival
- SOCIALIZATION is necessary for creating our individual qualities
- SYMBOLS: Words are the best example of symbols ; they stand for whatever decide they do! Other things are symbolic (hand shaking, kissing); and things can be symbolic as well (flags, hairstyles) !
- Our ability to create and use symbols that are understood by the user is part of our social ESSENCE.
Sets found in the same folder
Sociology Perez Exam 3
SOCI201 Exam 3 Perez
sociology exam 4 perez
SOCI201 exam 3 perez
Sets with similar terms
SYP Exam 1
Sociology- Chapter 4
Sociology Chapter 2: Re-socialization
Other sets by this creator
Philosophy 101 w/ Rogers
Phil 101 Exam 1
Phil101 Test 1 UD Rogers
Other Quizlet sets
The Family (Brown University)
9th grade. World history. Midterm.
APAH UNIT 10