Body Ritual among the Nacirema
Terms in this set (8)
Summarize the Nacirema's view of the body and illness
- human body is ugly and its natural tendency to diseases
- rituals to cleanse out/inside of body
What are the most important values of the Nacirema?
- being healthy with good hygiene
- privacy in certain rituals
- covering body
- human connection
How do members of this society exemplify their power and wealth?
- more wealthy/powerful have more shrines that are made with stone
- less wealthy imitate with pottery plaques
Why is the mouth so important to these people?
- they believe it has a greater influence on all social relationships
Based on the body rituals, would you rather be a man or a woman in this society?
- a man because women have to hide their bodies
How is wealth necessary in regard to the latipso ceremonies? is this fair?
- to get in and out of a laptops ceremony you must give a "rich" gift, making the more wealthy able to do so
Do you think the Nacirema are more or less advanced than own society?
- less advanced due to the resources they utilize
- Critique of ethnocentrism and ethnocentric ways of writing about a culture
- An example of an "outsiders perspective"
- "Looking from far and above, from our high places of safety in the developed civilization, it is easy to see all the crudity and irrelevance of magic." (Malinowski)
- Human behavior is arbitrary
- Examples of ritual