Terms in this set (39)
Hydrocarbons containing only single bonds between the carbon atoms are called
The simplest alkyne is
Hydrocarbons containing carbon-carbon triple bonds are called
The molecular geometry of each carbon atom in an alkane is
Cyclohexane has __________ fewer hydrogens than n-hexane.
Gasoline and water do not mix because gasoline is
nonpolar and water is polar
In general, __________ are the most reactive hydrocarbons.
How many hydroxyl groups are in a glycerol molecule?
The general formula for an ether is __________.
Ethers can be made by condensation of two __________ molecules by splitting out a molecule of water.
The general formula of an aldehyde is
The general formula of a carboxylic acid is
The general formula of an ester is
36) Optically active molecules that are mirror images of each other are called __________.
38) The secondary structure of a protein is the result of __________ bonding.
39) Starch, glycogen, and cellulose are made of repeating units of __________.
40) How many chiral atoms does the open-chain form of glucose have?
41) __________ acts as a kind of energy bank in the body, and is found concentrated in muscles and liver.
19) Which one of the following is not an alcohol?
E) ethylene glycol
21) The following reaction would produce a(n) __________.
R-OH + R'COOH →
33) Proteins are biopolymers formed via multiple condensation coupling of which two functional groups?
amine and carboxylic acid
Which amino acid is not chiral?
Sugars are examples of what type of molecule?
38) __________ is a disaccharide.
39) __________ is a monosaccharide.
0) The principal difference between fructose and glucose is that __________.
fructose is a ketone sugar and glucose is an aldehyde sugar
1) Which one of the following is a monosaccharide?
E) none of the above
Hydrogenation of what alkyne produces propane?
The anaerobic conversion of carbohydrates to ethanol is driven by the presence of
The aromas of different fruit are due to the chemical compounds known as
The hydrolysis of an ester in the presence of a base is called __________.
Non-superimposable mirror-image isomers of a substance are called __________.
The doubly ionized form of an amino acid is called a __________
Large protein molecules that act as catalysts are called __________.
The condensation reaction of a carboxyl group of one amino acid and the amino group of a second amino acid results in the formation of a __________.
Lactose is a disaccharide of glucose and __________.
Cyclobutane is more reactive than butane.
The majority of glucose molecules exist in ring structure.
Humans digest starch but not cellulose because of differences in the type of linkage between the glucose monomers of these substances
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
MCAT Biochemistry | Kaplan Guide
Biochemistry Chapter 11 terms
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Microbiology exam # 3
Proteins enzyme test
Lipids (lipid hydrolysis)
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Chemistry Chapter 8: Basic Concepts of Chemical Bonding
Chemistry Chapter 11: Liquids and Intermolecular Forces
CHEM 1112 EXAM 3