Create an account
1. According to psychoanalytic therapy, human beings are: (p.455)
b. determined by psychic energy and early experiences.
2. Which of the following approaches contends that the nature of the human condition includes self-awareness, freedom of choice, responsibility, and anxiety as basic elements? (p.455)
c. existential therapy
3. Which of the following approaches to therapy focuses on the unique style of life we create at an early age? (p. 455)
e. Adlerian therapy
4. Which of the following approaches is based on the premise that there are multiple realities and multiple truths? (p. 456)
b. postmodern approaches
5. Which of the following orientations avoids exploring problems, and instead, focuses on creating solutions in the present and the future? (p. 456)
d. solution-focused therapy
6. Which statement most closely reflects the philosophy of feminist therapy? (p. 456)
c. Constructs of feminist therapy include being gender-fair, flexible, interactionist, and lifespan oriented.
7. Adlerian therapy emphasizes the individual ' s: (p. 457)
a. positive capacities to live in society cooperatively.
8. Which of the following approaches would contend that normal personality development depends on the successful resolution of specific stages of development? (p. 457)
c. psychoanalytic therapy
10. Which of the following therapies emphasizes that a person's belief system is the cause of emotional problems? (p. 457)
e. rational emotive behavior therapy ·
12. Which of the following approaches most emphasizes principles of learning? (p. 457)
b. behavior therapy
13. Which is not a key concept of feminist therapy? (p. 458)
d. women's problems are viewed from an intrapsychic perspective
15. Which of the following approaches to therapy most attempts to provide a growth-promoting climate that is conducive to a client's self-exploration? (p.460)
e. person-centered therapy
16. One of the goals of rational emotiv:e behavior therapy is to: (p.460)
a. assist clients in acquiring a more tolerant and rational view of life.
17. Which of the following approaches places emphasis on challenging clients to recognize that they are responsible for events that they formerly thought were happening to them? (p. 460)
b. existential therapy
18. One of the major goals of reality therapy involves: (p. 460)
d. challenging clients to evaluate what they are doing.
19. Which of the following approaches to therapy focuses on the scientific method? (p. 460)
c. behavior therapy
22. In which of the following approaches does the therapist show concern for the client by a process of involvement throughout the course of therapy? (p. 465)
a. reality therapy
23. In which therapy approach is the client viewed as the expert on his or her own life, while the therapist is seen as an expert questioner who assists clients in freeing themselves of their problem-saturated stories and create new life-affirming stories? (p.465)
b. narrative therapy
30. Which of the following approaches to therapy stresses the attitude of the therapist over the use of techniques? (p. 466)
a. person-centered therapy
31. The technique of reliving and reexperiencing unfinished business is associated with: (p.466)
a. Gestalt therapy.
32. In feminist therapy, the following technique(s) is/are used to help clients recognize the impact of gender-role socialization: (p.467)
35. Which of the following therapies is most recommended for the treatment of phobic disorders?
a. behavior therapy
24. Which of the following approaches encourages therapists to accurately grasp the client's being in the world,? (p.464)
e. existential therapy
26. In which of the following approaches to therapy does the therapist become active and directive, functioning as a trainer for the client? (p.464)
c. behavior therapy
27. A key technique of Adlerian therapy is: (p.466)
e. the assessment of one's family constellation.
28. Which of the following approaches to therapy stresses authenticity first and technique second? (p. 466)
b. existential therapy
29. One ofthe techniques used by behavior therapists in dealing with a client's anxiety is:
d. systematic desensitization.
36. Which of the following approaches to therapy is based on the A-B-C theory of personality?
b. rational emotive behavior therapy
37. Which of the following approaches is least likely to be applied to short-term crisis intervention? (p.468)
d. psychoanalytic therapy
38. Existential therapy can be especially helpful for: (p. 468)
e. individuals facing a transition in life.
39. Which of the following approaches to therapy is best suited for helping people to create an alternative life story? (p. 469)
a. narrative therapy
40. One contribution of psychoanalytic therapy has been its: (p.473)
c. detailed and comprehensive description of personality structure and functioning.
41. Which of the following approaches is credited with an emphasis on assessment and evaluation? (p.473)
a. behavior therapy
42. Which of the following approaches challenges social and cultural injustices that lead to oppression of certain groups? (p.471)
d. narrative therapy
43. Which of the following approaches consists of simple and clear concepts and emphasizes the role of choice? (p. 474)
b. reality therapy
44. One contribution of Adlerian therapy has been an emphasis on: (p. 473)
e. social and psychological factors.
45. Which of the following approaches to therapy is noted for using numerous cognitive, emotive, and behavioral techniques? (p.474)
c. rational emotive behavior therapy
46. The negative impact of discrimination and oppression for both men and women has surfaced as a result of: (p.474)
d. feminist therapy.
47. Some are critical of the "not-knowing" stance of the therapist and the negative stance on formal diagnosis in which of these therapies? (p. 476)
solution-focused therapy & narrative therapy
48. A limitation of reality therapy is that it: (p. 475)
b. discounts the therapeutic value of dreams.
49. A limitation of person-centered therapy is: (p.475)
a. the possible danger of the therapist remaining passive and inactive.
50. A limitation of existential therapy is its: (p.475)
c. limited applicability to nonverbal clients.
54. A major difference between an eclectic and an integrated approach to counseling is: (p. 448)
b. eclectic approaches are susceptible to syncretism, while integrated approaches combine techniques based on theoretical reasons.
55. Which of the following approaches to integration refers to a conceptual creation beyond a mere blending of techniques? (p. 450)
c. theoretical integration
57. The common factors approach to psychotherapy integration: (p. 450)
a. searches for shared elements across different theoretical systems.
58. In deciding which interventions will be most helpful for the client, the counselor practicing integratively must: (p. 462)
e. all of the above
59. Regarding psychotherapy outcome, research shows: (p.477)
d. no model of therapy has been proven more effective than another.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together