Create an account
Facts about Mali
1) Several great empires, including Mali, were located in Africa.
2) Early Mali was a wealthy empire when Columbus sailed to
3) Mali was located int eh WESTERN REGION of AFRICA.
4) STORYTELLERS in Mali passed on traditions from one
generation to the next.
5) TIMBUKTU was an important city in Mali. It had a famous
UNIVERSITY with a large LIBRARY containing Greek and Roman
6) Mali was ruled by rich and powerful KINGS who controlled
TRADE in West Africa.
Ways they related to their environment:
- The NIGER RIVER was used for farming, fishing and
- SALT was a NATURAL RESOURCE found in the Sahara Desert.
People use salt for their health and for preserving food.
- Miners found GOLD in West Africa
- The people of Mali traded GOLD for SALT. Mali was an
IMPORTANT TRADE CENTER and became a large and wealthy
- SPECIALIZATION occurs when people focus on producing one
selected good or service.
- People and regions specialize because they cannot produce
everything they want
- People TRADE for things they need and want but do not have
a NATURAL RESOURCE found in the Sahara Desert. People use it for their health and for preserving food.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together