Part 4 classical music
Terms in this set (11)
By using crescendos and decrescendos, or gradual changes in volume
What was one of the ways in which composers of the Classical era achieved more expression in their music?
1. Classical music has unexpected pauses and syncopations
2. In classical music, a change from one rythmic pattern to another might be sudden or gradual
3. Classical music had changes in rhythm within a movement
What are the characteristics of rhythm in music of the classical era?
One reason that basso _ became obsolete during the classical era was that more and more music was written for amateurs who could not master the difficult art of improvising from a figured bass
1. It consisted of string, wind, brass, and percussion instruments
2. The clarinet began to be used
Which description accurately portray the orchestra of the classical period?
Late baroque music was characterized by a _ texture, whereas classical music is basically _ in texture
The complexity of baroque works
The preclassical style and eventual classical one developed as a reaction to what?
1. Classical music fluctuated from dramatic to carefree moods
2. A classical era movement had contrasts within themes
Which statements accurately describe mood in classical-era music, particularly in contrast to baroque music
1. He enjoyed success thanks to a growing middle-class audience
2. Many of the nobility treated him as an equal
Which of the following are true statements about the career of Ludwig van Beethoven?
Which European city was the musical center during the Classical period?
1. Early classical composers wrote pieces that were easy for amateurs to play
2. Classical composers used folk somgs as themes in instrumental music and composed melodies with a rustic (country) flavor
3. Classical composers wrote more comic operas, some with plots that ridiculed aristocracy
How did the middle class influence classical music?
1. Court performances were not accessible to them
2. They wanted to hear the latest music just like the nobles
3. Since composers took their tastes into account, they related to the content of the operas or tunes of the music
Why were public concerts so important for the middle class?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Music Lit Midterm Study Guide
music appreciation final unr lori roy
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Music part 3 baroque period
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
MUS 170 Wk2
Music 1010 Final Exam
Music Appreciation, The Classical Period