5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- nonviolent protest
- Major themes of books and movies in the 1930's
- The Works Progress Administration
- a Alliance of church-based African American organizations formed in 1957 that was dedicated to ending discrimination. It was founded by MLK.
- b Underdogs overcoming obstacles, against all odds, anything that would make people feel happier or anything that emphasized American strength and victory in past and present.
- c The phrase Guns and Butter refers to whos presidency when he tries to fund both war and social programs through his plans for both Vietnam and the Great Society
- d Martin Luther King Jr. thought civil rights would be attained through
- e New Deal agency created in 1935 to put American men and women to work. The WPA employed some 8.5 million people during the Depression. It funded artistic, public-works, and research projects. The WPA greatly improved the nation's infrastructure.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A policy embraced by Richard Nixon,was foreign policy theory that practical politics and the needs of the country should trump idealism, democracy, and human rights.
- Though Ho Chi Minh asked the United States for support, the United States was hesitant because Ho Chi Minh had communist leanings, allying Ho Chi Minh would mean the United States was Allied against the French, and finally the Vietminh in South Vietnam were very violent and murderous.
- Are terms for migratory workers or homeless vagabonds who are often penniless.
- Was originally allied with Germany. Then Germany invaded Russia, so they switched sides.
- Hoped that his programs would channel capital into the economy through consumers. Rather than using Hoover's trickle-down method of tax cuts, he worked from the bottom up. The government encouraged integrity in business as well. The three goals of the New Deal were "Relief, Recovery, and Reform." He wanted to provide relief through direct aid to the people, he wanted to recover the market, and he wanted to reform Wall Street.
5 True/False questions
Gulf of Tonkin Resolution → Congressional measure that gave President Lyndon B. Johnson the authority to wage war in Vietnam without congressional approval.
Khrushchev → Was the US attempt to contain communism. North Korea (communist) invaded South Korea (not communist). The US came to South Korea's aid. The war ended in a stalemate (no victor). Korea remained divided at the 38th parallel; North Korea remained communist and South Korea remained democratic.
Changes in geography after WWII → Was the relocation of Allied POWs to prison camps in the Philippines.
Executive Order 9066 → Created Japanese concentration camps. Japanese Americans were interned because many saw the Japanese as faithful to their native culture and therefore, a security threat to the United States.
Isolationism/neutrality → America's policy toward entering WWII before Japan attacked Pearl Harbor