Deoxyribonucleic acid; the genetic material that carries information about an organism and is passed from parent to offspring.
Process in which one strain of bacteria is changed by a gene or genes from another strain of bacteria.
monomer of nucleic acids made up of a 5-carbon sugar, a phosphate group, and a nitrogenous base
granular material visible within the nucleus; consists of DNA tightly coiled around proteins
enzyme involved in DNA replication that joins individual nucleotides to produce a DNA molecule
An enzyme that links together the growing chain of ribonucleotides during transcription.
ribosomal RNA; type of RNA that makes up part of the ribosome and is the location of protein synthesis
process in which part of the nucleotide sequence of DNA is copied into a complementary sequence of mRNA
The synthesis of a polypeptide using the genetic information encoded in an mRNA molecule. There is a change of "language" from nucleotides to amino acids.
mutation in which one or just a few nucleotides in a gene are changed; examples are insertions, deletions and substitutions
mutation that shifts the "reading" frame of the genetic message by inserting or deleting a nucleotide
Deletions, insertions, inversions, and translocations are types of these; changes in the number or structure of chromosomes
a mutation in which a nucleotide or a codon in DNA is replaced with a different mucleotide
Scientist that concluded that DNA was the factor that caused one bacterium to transform into another.
scientist who experimented with bacteria to find out how it made people sick. Discovered process of transformation.
Hershey and Chase
Used radioactive material to label DNA and protein; infected bacteria passed on DNA; helped prove that DNA is genetic material not proteins
Watson and Crick
nobel prize winners for correctly describing the structure of DNA as a double helix
Scientist who generated x-ray images of DNA, which povided Watson and Crick with key data about DNA double helix structure
Draw and label the three parts of a nucleotide
Sugar phosphate backbone and a nitrogenous base (A, T, C or G)
Describe the structure of DNA including the shape, components, and what bonds hold the bases together.
Shape is a double helix;
The three components include the sugar deoxyribose, a phosphate group and a nitrogenous base;
The bases are held together by hydrogen bonds
principle that bonds in DNA can form only between adenine and thymine and between guanine and cytosine
If a DNA molecule has 22% adenine, what percentage is guanine?
28% (See explanation below)
If adenine = 22% then thymine = 22% for a total of 44% because of base pairing. This means that guanine and cytosine = 100% - 44% = 56%. So guanine is half of 56% = 28%.
Illustrate base pairing in DNA and RNA
A - T and C - G
In RNA: (Remember thymine is replaced by uracil)
A - U and C - G
Make a table that compares replication, transcription and translation.
Include the following components for each process: location in the cell, enzyme(s) involved, end product
Compare and contrast gene mutations and chromosomal mutations.
Gene mutations involve changes in one or a few nucleotides and include insertions, deletions and substitutions; Chromosomal mutations involve changes in the number or structure of chromosomes affecting many nuclotides and include inversions, deletions, translocations, and duplications
Which type of point mutations affect the resulting protein the most? The least? EXPLAIN Why!
Deletions and insertions affect the resulting protein the most because each of these mutations cause a change in the reading frame (See picture). Substitution mutations only affect one amino acid so they affect the resulting protein minimally.
Using the sequence of DNA, show the results of transcription and translation...
TAC - CTA - GCT - ATA - AAT - ATT
TAC - CTA - GCT - ATA - AAT - ATT
AUG - GAU - CGA - UAU - UUA - UAA
polypeptide chain (translation):
methionine - aspartic acid - arginine - tyrosine - leucine - stop
Describe and draw an illustration of each of the 4 types of chromosomal mutations
Deletions involve the loss of all or part of a chromosome
Duplications produce extra copies of parts of a chromosome
Inversions reverse the direction of parts of chromosomes
Translocations occur when part of one chromosome breaks off and attaches to another