5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Epic Poem
- Line length
- a Long ago poets wrote these very long poems. They include heroic figures, a dignified theme, organic unity and an orderly progress of events. Modern long poems do not fall into this category.
- b Taken as a whole, the stressed/unstressed sounds in a poem are what give a poem its rhythm, which in poetic terms is called this term.
- c a narrative or description having a second meaning beneath the surface one
- d a figure of speech in which someone absent or dead or something nonhuman is addressed as if it were alive and present and could reply
- e The combination of non-existent margins and stressed and unstressed sounds(meter) are part of what makes a poem different from poetry.
5 Multiple choice questions
- a compact paradox in which two successive words seemingly contradict each other
- is the representation of one thing by another thing. A statue is an image. Figurative language is a another word to describe the word_____________
- disruption of expectations
- a pattern set up and rigorously followed through the poem
- any way of saying something other than the ordinary way; a way of saying something and meaning another
5 True/False questions
Modern Free Verse → Does not rely on meter, often pays more attention to the shape of the poem instead of the sound of the poem.
onomatopoeia → the use of words that supposedly mimic their meaning in their sound (boom, click, pop)
personification → a figure of speech in which human attributes are given to an animal, an object, or concept
denotation → what a word suggests beyond its basic dictionary definition; a word's overtones of meaning
Syllabic Verse → unrhymed iambic pentameter