5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Narrative Poem
- rhetorical poetry
- Syllabic Verse
- a This is a poetry form..A Pattern is set up and rigorously followed throughout the poem
- b Longer than some poems, it is usually a slowly unfolding description of some event and often includes humor. It is easy to read and is usually sequential.
- c the basic definition or dictionary meaning of a word
- d a reference, explicit or implicit, to something in literature or history
- e poetry using artificially eloquent language; that is, language too high-flown for its occasion and unfaithful to the full complexity of human experience
5 Multiple choice questions
- a brief concentrated poem with single subject, focus, voice with simple musicality.
- narrative poem designed to be sung, composed by an anonymous author, and transmitted orally for years or generations before being written down
- any wavelike recurrence of motion or sound
- a device by which the author implies a different meaning from that intended by the speaker in a literary work
- a figure of speech in which an implicit comparison is made between two things essentially unlike
5 True/False questions
didactic poetry → poetry having as a primary purpose to teach or preach
onomatopoeia → a figure of speech in which someone absent or dead or something nonhuman is addressed as if it were alive and present and could reply
Modern Free Verse → Does not rely on meter, often pays more attention to the shape of the poem instead of the sound of the poem.
allegory → repetition of an opening word or phrase in a series of lines
satire → Taken as a whole, the stressed/unstressed sounds in a poem are what give a poem its rhythm, which in poetic terms is called this term.