5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Modern Free Verse
- blank verse
- a is the representation of one thing by another thing. A statue is an image. Figurative language is a another word to describe the word_____________
- b Does not rely on meter, often pays more attention to the shape of the poem instead of the sound of the poem.
- c unrhymed iambic pentameter
- d a narrative or description having a second meaning beneath the surface one
- e the repetition at close intervals of the initial consonant sounds of accented syllables or important words (shells on the sea shore)(peter piper picked a pack of picked peppers)
5 Multiple choice questions
- a reference, explicit or implicit, to something in literature or history
- what a word suggests beyond its basic dictionary definition; a word's overtones of meaning
- a brief concentrated poem with single subject, focus, voice with simple musicality.
- the writer's or speaker's attitude toward the subject, the audience, or herself or himself; the emotional coloring, or emotional meaning of a work
- a speech pause occurring within a line
5 True/False questions
verbal irony → a figure of speech in which what is meant is the opposite of what is said
Epic Poem → Long ago poets wrote these very long poems. They include heroic figures, a dignified theme, organic unity and an orderly progress of events. Modern long poems do not fall into this category.
metaphor → a figure of speech in which an implicit comparison is made between two things essentially unlike
diction → a kind of literature that ridicules human folly or vice with the ostensible purpose of bringing about reform or of keeping others from falling into similar folly or vice
paradox → a fairly short narrative poem written in a songlike stanza form