5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Leslie Lucas
- Mr. Ward
- Decline of the Harlem Renaissance
- Harlem Renaissance
- Raul Ramirez
- a loves to paint, does not want to be stereotyped as by his culture
- b a movement of African-American culture in literature, art, dance and music during the 1920's.
- c her mother died of cancer, became friends with Porscha
- d English teacher who inspires his students
- e The Great Depression added economic pressure to organizations that supported the Harlem Renaissance, like the NAACP.
5 Multiple choice questions
- aspires to work on Broadway, but is moving
- African-American daily life, discrimination and racism, roots in Africa.
- thinks that she is ugly, loves fashion and sewing
- refuses to be stuck in an abusive cycle, like her sister
- The "main character" or "tour guide" of the book
5 True/False questions
Janelle Battle → wants to be considered a "bad boy" but loves the Harlem Renaissance, wants a future
Raynard Patterson → Overweight, wants people to see her beyond her weight. "I am coconut"
Poets of the Harlem Renaissance → Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Countee Cullen
Jazz and Blues → is a very good basketball player, but also likes to read
Tanisha Scott → considers her beauty a struggle