5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Jazz and Blues
- Poets of the Harlem Renaissance
- Lupe Algarin
- Sterling S. Hughes
- Janelle Battle
- a very poor, looked at as a preacher man, wants to be a teacher
- b music that became popular during the Harlem Renaissance. Performed at the Apollo and Cotton Club.
- c Overweight, wants people to see her beyond her weight. "I am coconut"
- d Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Countee Cullen
- e wants someone to love her, feels alone. Does not like her stepfather
5 Multiple choice questions
- a movement of African-American culture in literature, art, dance and music during the 1920's.
- thinks that she is ugly, loves fashion and sewing
- is rebelling against her family, feels like she doesn't belong
- her parents' divorce has greatly affected her, wants a friend but doesn't trust anyone
- The "main character" or "tour guide" of the book
5 True/False questions
Mr. Ward → loves to paint, does not want to be stereotyped as by his culture
Steve Ericson → aspires to work on Broadway, but is moving
Leslie Lucas → her mother died of cancer, became friends with Porscha
Gloria Martinez → is balancing being a single mother with going to school full time
Wesley Boone → is a very good basketball player, but also likes to read