5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Janelle Battle
- Themes of literature in the Harlem Renaissance
- Porscha Johnson
- Diondra Jordan
- Sheila Gamberoni
- a is very tall, plays basketball because her father wants her to, loves to paint
- b is considered a bully, bad-tempered, her mom died of an overdose
- c Overweight, wants people to see her beyond her weight. "I am coconut"
- d African-American daily life, discrimination and racism, roots in Africa.
- e is rebelling against her family, feels like she doesn't belong
5 Multiple choice questions
- has dyslexia, loves the saxaphone
- Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Countee Cullen
- thinks that she is ugly, loves fashion and sewing
- her mother died of cancer, became friends with Porscha
- The "main character" or "tour guide" of the book
5 True/False questions
Decline of the Harlem Renaissance → The Great Depression added economic pressure to organizations that supported the Harlem Renaissance, like the NAACP.
Gloria Martinez → loves to paint, does not want to be stereotyped as by his culture
Sterling S. Hughes → her mother died of cancer, became friends with Porscha
Mr. Ward → English teacher who inspires his students
Harlem Renaissance → aspires to work on Broadway, but is moving