5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Raynard Patterson
- Harlem Renaissance
- Raul Ramirez
- Gloria Martinez
- Tyrone Bittings
- a The "main character" or "tour guide" of the book
- b has dyslexia, loves the saxaphone
- c a movement of African-American culture in literature, art, dance and music during the 1920's.
- d loves to paint, does not want to be stereotyped as by his culture
- e is balancing being a single mother with going to school full time
5 Multiple choice questions
- is a very good basketball player, but also likes to read
- considers her beauty a struggle
- is considered a bully, bad-tempered, her mom died of an overdose
- Overweight, wants people to see her beyond her weight. "I am coconut"
- The Great Depression added economic pressure to organizations that supported the Harlem Renaissance, like the NAACP.
5 True/False questions
Themes of literature in the Harlem Renaissance → African-American daily life, discrimination and racism, roots in Africa.
Steve Ericson → wants someone to love her, feels alone. Does not like her stepfather
Amy Moscowitz → her parents' divorce has greatly affected her, wants a friend but doesn't trust anyone
Sterling S. Hughes → her mother died of cancer, became friends with Porscha
Jazz and Blues → music that became popular during the Harlem Renaissance. Performed at the Apollo and Cotton Club.