Create an account
Occur as a result of physiologic, hormonal variations, and alterations in hair follicles
- occur in middle to late teens
- males have it more severe
- induced/exacerbated by drugs, occupational contactants, coal, occulsive conditiosn, cosmetics, tropical climates
- open comedones: small follicular papules containing black, central, black keratin plug (color due to oxidation of melanin pigment)
- closed comedones: follicular papules w/o visible central plug
- since keratin plug blocked..susceptible to rupture and inflammation
- erythematous papules, nodules, pustules
Pathogenesis: Endocrine factors - androgens, bacterial lipases of propionibacterium acnes break down sebaceous oils -> irritate fatty acids --> inflammation
Tx: inhibit lipases..vitamin A derivative (retinoic acid) -> antisebaceous actino
1) flushing episodes
2) persistent erythema and telangiectasia
3) pustules and papules
4) rhinophyma - permanent thickening of nasal skin by conflueny erythematous papules and follicular prominence
- affects females more
Pathogenesis: High cutaneous levels of antimicrobial peptide cathelicidin (mediator of innate immune response)
- inappropriate activation of innate immune response
Pannicultis: Erythema Nodosum and Erythema Induratum
Pannicultis: inflammatory rxn in subcutaneous adipose tissue, can affect CT septa or lobules of fat, involves lower leg usually, has subacute chronic course
Erythema nodusum: most common, occurs generally w/ infections, presents poorly defined, tender, erythematous plaques and nodules, will flatten and become bruiselike, fever malaise
Erythema induratum: uncommon, primary vasculitis affecting deep vessels supplying lobules of subcutis w/ subsequent necrosis and inflamm. w/in fat. Occurs usually W/O underlying disease
Caused by human papillomaviruses, self-limiting, and common in children and adolescents
Veruca vulgaris: most common
- papules occur on hands
Verruca plantaris/palmaris: on soles and palms
Condyloma acuminatum (veneral wart) - perianal areas and rectum
- soft, tan, cauliflower-like masses
Pathogenesis: Variants assoc. w/ HPV subtypes (HPV 16- dysplasia; HPV 6,11 - warts; HPV 5,8 - squamous cell carcinoma)
Viral disease of skin caused by poxvirus
-brick-shaped, dumbbell-shaped DNA core
- spread by direct contact in children and young adults usually
- lesions on skin and mucous membranes, trunk, anogenital areas
- curd-like material can be expressed from central umbilication
Superficial bacterial infection of skin, highly contagious, seen in children or adults of poor health
- affects face and hands
- erythematous macule, small pustules, when erode they form honey-colored crust -> if not removed can form bullous and epidermal damage
Impetigo contagiosa and impetigo bullosa
- both caused by staph aureus
- contagiosa caused by beta-hemolytic streptococci
Pathogenesis: Innate immune response cause formation of scale crust (scab). Bacteria produce TOXIN that cleaves desmoglein 1 (responisble for cell-cell adhesion)
NOTE: Pemphigus foliaceus caused by AB..NOT toxin!
Superficial Fungal Infections
Confined to the stratum corneum and caused primarily by dermatophytes (organisms that grow in soil, animals)
Tinea capitis - occurs in children, dermatophytosis of scalp, hairless patches of skin
Tinea barbae - uncommon, dermatophyte infection of beard area
Tinea corporis - common, due to excessive heat and humidity, exposure to infected animals, chronic dermatophytosis of feets or nails
Tinea cruris - inguinal areas of obese men during warm weather
Tinea pedis/ATHLETE'S FOOT - erythema and scaling due to bacterial superinfection, not directly related to primary dermatophytosis
-> spread to nails onchomycosis (discoloration, thickening, deformity of nail plate)
Tinea versicolor - upper turnk, caused by Malassezia furfur (yeast, not dermatophyte), lesions ligher or darker than surrounding skin
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together