Create an account
Name the five phases in Basic Rifle Marksmanship.
- Preliminary Rifle Instruction
- Downrange Feedback
- Field Fire
- Advanced Rifle Marksmanship
- Advanced Optics, Laser and Iron Sights
What is the purpose of the Weaponeer?
The Weaponeer is capable of simulating all of he BRM live fire scenarios without firing rounds. Immediate feedback is available for critiquing the Soldier's application of the integrated act of firing while using the Weaponeer device to include misfire procedures.
What are the four fundamentals of marksmanship?
1. Steady position
2. Sight picture (proper aim)
4. Trigger squeeze
What are the two basic elements of the sight picture?
1. Sight alignment
2. Placing of the aiming point
What is remedial action?
Remedial action is the continuing effort to determine the cause for a stoppage and to try to clear a stoppage once it has been identified.
Describe the proper procedure for applying remedial action with the M16/A2.
1. Try to place the weapon on Safe.
2. Remove the magazine.
3. Lock the bolt to the rear.
4. Place the weapon on Safe, if not already done.
Describe the proper procedure for applying immediate action with the M16/A2.
1. Slap upward on the magazine.
2. Pull the charging handle to the rear.
3. Observe the chamber (if the weapon fails to eject, perform remedial action).
4. Release the charging handle.
5. Tap the forward assist to ensure bolt closure.
6. Squeeze the trigger.
What is immediate action?
The quick application of a possible correction to fix a stoppage without troubleshooting the actual cause.
How many times should immediate action be applied?
Once. If the rifle still fails to fire, apply remedial action.
What is a malfunction?
The weapon ceasing to fire due to a stoppage resulting from mechanical failure.
Name the different categories of malfunctions of the M16/A2.
- Failure to feed, chamber, or lock.
- Failure to fire
- Failure to extract
- Failure to eject
What is a stoppage?
A stoppage is a failure of an automatic firearm to complete the cycle of operation.
What is the definition of Maximum Effective Range?
Maximum Effective Range is the greatest distance at which a Soldier can be expected to deliver a target hit.
What does CLP stand for?
- Cleaner: it dissolves residue and carbon
- Lubricant: it lays down a layer of Teflon as it dries to provide lubrication
- Preservative: it prevents rust from forming
Describe the M16/A2 rifle.
The M16/A2 rifle is a 5.56 mm, hand-held, shoulder-fired, magazine-fed, gas-operated, air-cooled, semi-automatic weapon with three-round burst.
What are the 7 types of ammunition that can be used with the M16/A2 rifle?
1. M193 - Ball
2. M196 - Trace
3. M199 - Dummy
4. M200 - Blank (Violet tip and 7 5. petal rose crimp)
5. M855 - Ball (Green Tip)
6. M856 - Tracer (Red Tip)
7. M862 - Short Range Training Ammunition (Plastic with a Blue Tip)
What are the 4 steps in order to mechanically zero the M16/A2?
1. Align the front sight post up or down until flush with the housing.
2. Adjust the elevation knob counterclockwise (as seen from above) until the rear sight assembly is flush with the carrying handle, and the 8/3 marking is aligned with the index line on the left side of the carrying handle.
3. Position the unmarked aperture is up, and adjust the windage to align the index mark on the 0-200 m aperture with the long center index line on the rear sign assembly.
What steps are required to battlesight zero the M16/A2.
1. Adjust the elevation knob counterclockwise (as seen from above) until the rear sight assembly is flush with the carrying handle, and the 8/3 marking is aligned with the index line on the left side of the carrying handle, then adjust one more click clockwise.
2. Position the unmarked aperture is up, and adjust the windage to align the index mark on the 0-200 m aperture with the long center index line on the rear sign assembly.
Describe the weights of the M16/A2 rifle?
- Without magazine and sling: 7.78 lbs
- With sling and a 20-round magazine: 8.48 lbs
- With sling and a 30-round magazine: 8.79 lbs
Describe the maximum effective rates of fire for the M16/A2.
- Semi: 45 rpm
- Burst: 90 rpm
- Sustained: 12-15 rpm
Describe the ranges for the M16/A2.
- Maximum range: 3,600 m
- Maximum effective range (point): 550 m
- Maximum effective range (area): 800 m
What are the 8 steps in the functioning of the M16/A2 rifle.
Describe the procedures for clearing the M16/A2 rifle.
- Point the muzzle in a designated SAFE DIRECTION. Attempt to place selector lever on SAFE. If weapon is not cocked, lever cannot be placed on SAFE.
- Remove the magazine by depressing the magazine catch button and pulling the magazine down.
- To lock bolt open,pull charging handle rearward. Press bottom of bolt catch and allow bolt to move forward until it engages bolt catch. Return charging handle to full forward position. If you have not done so before, place the selector lever on SAFE.
- Visually (not physically) inspect the receiver and chamber to ensure these areas contain no ammo.
- With the select or lever pointing toward SAFE, allow the bolt to go forward by pressing the upper portion of the bolt catch.
- Place the select or lever on SEMI and squeeze the trigger.
- Pull the charging handle fully rearward and release it, allowing the bolt to return to the full forward position.
- Place the select or lever on SAFE.
- Close the ejection port cover.
How do you perform a functions check on the M16/A2 rifle?
1. Place the selector lever on safe. If the selector switch will not go on safe, pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Place the selector lever on safe. Pull the trigger to the rear, the hammer should not fall.
2. Place the selector lever on semi. Pull the trigger to the rear and hold. The hammer should fall. While holding the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Release the trigger and pull it to the rear again. The hammer should fall.
3. Place the selector lever on burst. Pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Pull the trigger to the rear and hold. The hammer should fall. While holding the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear three times and release. Release the trigger and pull it to the rear again. The hammer should fall.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together