5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- males have the highest suicide rates.
- Hirschi's Control Theory:
- Feminization of Poverty
- a Suicide rates for people in Canada show that:
- b a program for reforming the offender to prevent later offences
- c 15% of women, 24% of older women, 49% of
older unattached women and 65% of lone
parent mothers live below the poverty line.
(National Council on Welfare, 2004)
- d the dominance of European cultural patterns.
- e everyone finds some deviance tempting; what stops us from breaking all the rules?
4 different types of social control:
1. Attachment: Strong social attachments encourage
2. Commitment: The greater a person's commitment
to legitimate opportunities, the greater conformity.
4. Involvement: Time and energies linked to
"legitimate" activities inhibit deviance.
4. Belief: Strong belief in conventional morality and
respect for authority figures inhibits deviance.
5 Multiple choice questions
- ppl who sell their productive labour for wages
- the behaviour expected of someone who holds a particular status
- As a discipline, sociology first took root in
- •Gender: personal traits and social positions that
members of a society attach to being male or female;
largely a product of cultural socialization and distinction.
•What is it that determines what is masculine and
feminine? Often seen as a continuum.
•What is the problem with labelling anything as being
masculine or feminine?
•Gender Stratification: the unequal distribution of
wealth, power, and privilege between men and women.
- - Television viewing makes children more passive.
-Television viewing makes children less likely to use their imagination.
-Most programs SHOW how men in position of power over women.
-Almost two-thirds of television programs contain violence.
5 True/False questions
social conflict paradigm → who & what is labeled deviant by: cultural relativity as compared the standard deviation of cultural means & norms, divided by the # of ppl in the family of the victims of the crime
Social Mobility within a Class System → a change in social position occurring during a person's lifetime
agrarian → Type of society engages in large-scale farming based on the use of plows drawn by animals or more powerful energy sources
Auguste Comte → The term "sociology" was coined by
social control → builds gender into personality & actions