5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- social interaction.
- gender stratification & violence
- "seeing the general in the
- Structural-Functional Analysis
- a The process by which people act and react in relation to others is called:
- b Peter Berger characterized the sociological perspective - he meant that sociology help us: see general patterns in the behaviour of particular people
- c *Durkheim identified 4 distinct functions of deviance & merton's strain theory & deviant subcultures*
- d Smiling and making polite remarks to people we do NOT like is an example of:
- e •Family violence: though both men and
women are victims, women suffer more
•Sexual harassment consists of comments,
gestures, or physical contact of a sexual
nature that are deliberate, repeated, and
Pornography: Women focus on it as a power
issue, another means of controlling women.
Interestingly, some women endorse the rights
of free speech.
5 Multiple choice questions
- (Erving Goffman)The study of social interaction in terms of THERTICAL performance is referred to as:
- A statement of how and why specific facts are related is a:
- his research subjects were ALL MALES; therefore, his findings cannot be generalized to both sexes.
- crime committed by ppl of high social position in the course of their occupations
- the lifelong social experience by which individuals develop human potential and learn culture
5 True/False questions
Marx → 1966 claims that deviance is nothing more than behaviour that ppl define as deviant
tact. → defines who and what we are in relation to others.
gender blindness → 1940 a persons tendency toward conformity/deviance depends on the amount of contact with others who encourage/reject conventional behavior
- defined term - white collar crime
hunting and gathering → Durkheim believe to be a key factor in explaining why some
categories of people had higher rates of suicide than others
schooling → -cultures emphasis on $ and lack of opportunity results in :
1. innovation- using unconveintional means to achieve a culturally approved goal
2. ritulalism - inability to reach a cultural goal may prompt deviance
3. retreatism - inability to succeed
4. rebellion - response to failure