Upgrade to remove ads
Arts and Humanities
Terms in this set (27)
- King of Austria, leader of a multinational empire
- granted limited reforms & new constitution
-constitution pleases the German-speaking Austrians but not the Slavs. Slavs want independence but goverment fights it off.
-Hungarian half of the dual monarchy (Austrian-Hungarian empire)
what did the Dual Monarchy share and not share
=Austrian-Hungarian empire (formed before the war
Shared: finance, defence and foreign affairs
Independent: constitution, parliament and everything else
Dual Monarchy share
-formed before the WWI
-formed by Ferenc Deak because of pressure for change in Hungary; please Nationalist demands. However Slavs strcitly wanted their own independance.
The sick man of Europe
-the Ottoman Empire
Balkan Powder Keg
- the explosion the causes WW1
- The ottoman empire was weak because the Balkans were gaining independence. European nations take advantage to take Ottoman lands and fight amongst each other. Nationalist Groups take adantage to revolt and also fight amongst themselves.
Imperialism (definition +)
The dominatin by one country of the political, ecomonic, or cultuaral life of antoher country. New imperialism (aggressive expansion) is caused by economic and military strength.
Protectorate (definition +)
-The relationship of superior authority assumed by one power or state over a dependent one
-Local rulers expected to follow the advice of European advisors
sphere of influence (definition)
Outside power claimed exclusive investment and trading privledges with a nation
Social darwinim (definition)
Imperial domination of weaker racdes was nature's way of improving the human species.
Form of Imperial Rule
- Direct (French): Dominating country run the colonies.
- Indirect (British): Sultans, chiefs, orother officials rule but countries have British education.
-Sphere of influence
Nonbinding agreement to follow common policies (Britian, France, and russia signed an entente)
The Arms Race
- Britian threatened by Germany's powerhouse ecomony and military.
-Germany feared the Russia would become unbeatable competitor due to its population and resources
-Britan and France team up against Germany (entente??)
what year did WWI start
what year did WWII start
- Serbian student, Gaviolo Princip, assassinates Archduke Franz Ferdindard of Austrian-Hungarian empire.
-Austria-Hungary & their ally, Germany, attack Serbia in retaliation
- Russia, Serbia, France and Britian
The Shlieffen Plan
-Germany would fight France 1st then Russia (because France was high industrialized)
-FAILED: Russia got ready quicky so German was divided between the Western Front and the Eastern Front.
-Became a slatemate. Central powers (Germany +) had machine guns but Russia had lots of troops and trenchs to protect again machine guns.
First mechanized war
tanks, u boats, shells, machine guns, airplanes, blimps, chemical weapons, poison gas and naval destroyers
Central Powers (definition)
Austria-Hungary, Germany (& Italy, Dad says). Ottoman Empire joins in 1914
The Allys (the triple alliance???)
Britain, France & Russia
the end of WWI
-Treaty of Versilles
-November 11, 1918
-Germany fires Kaiser Wilhem
-Britian blockades Germany's imports and exports
-German U-boat sinks British Cargo ships in the Atlantic
-Allies begin taking over German colonies in Africa and Asia to cut off supplies.
-Canda, New Zealand, Autralia help allies of of British roots (commonwealth)
-Indian & French West African troops fight for Allies
-Ottoman Empire jions the Centrol Powers in 1914
-cut off Russian supplies through the Dardanelles
- Arabs join Allies to supply the Russians
-Battle of Gallipoli (British & Ottoman Empire)
- Italy joins Allies because they want Centrol Power territory
-Japan aids English also because they want Central Power territy
- Use remains neutral (Isolationism)
-1951 Lusitania Cruise sink sun by German U-boat
-Germany promise US president Wilson not to sink ships
-1917 Gemany resumed unrestricted warfare and US joins war (the Yanks are coming)
- US support leads to Ally victory
Who fought on the Allies side
France, British, Russian, Canada, New Zealand, Autralia, U.S., India, French West Africian
Who fought on Central Powers side
Germany, Astrian-Hungarian, the Ottoman Empire
-freedom of seas
-large-scales reduction of arms
-an end to secret treaties
US President Wilson & the end of war
- promoted the Fourteen Points
- a list of terms to resolve WWI and future war
-nations only adreed to one so Wilson urged the creation of a 'general associations of nations = League of Nations
whose general idea was the League of Nations
US president Wilson
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
World War I: Test 4/13/18
Western Civilization Adams Final
World History Patterns of Interaction Chapter 13
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Fiona's Science Test
Cell Test part 1