5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Cottage vs Factory System
- Unification of Italy
- Berlin Conference of 1884
- a .In 1830s, nationalist leader, Giuseppe Mazzini, founded Young Italy whose goal was to constitute Italy as one free independent, republican nation. In 1860, ally of Mazzini, Giuseppe Garibaldi recruited volunteers and won control of Sicily. Next, Garibaldi turned Naples and Sicily over to Victor Emmanuel. Successors of Count Camillo Cavour acquired Venetia and soon Rome was won back when France had to withdraw its troops during the Franco-Prussian War. Last, Italy becomes a united nation, which it hadn't been since the fall of the Roman Empire. Butt... Young Italy had many problems, too. North and South Italy had many disputes and there was hostility between church and state. When turmoil occurred, the government was forced to extend rights to more men and improve social conditions. However, by 1914, Italy was better off than it had been in 1861.
- b Political theory, advocated by Bismarck, that national success justifies any means possible
- c the _____ system differed from the __________ system because _______ was in the home and the whole family worked together off of manually powered machines unlike in the factory system families were separated, you work long hours, work off of electrically powered machines and are treated badly.
- d a diplomatic event held by Otto von Bismarck to discuss the division of Africa; signified Germany's interest in colonialization and imperialism
- e the belief that people should be as free as possible from government restraint. Based off of equality. They were run by a democracy, but you can still have a king. The people of ____________ were aloud to vote. The significance of this was that they were aloud to have their freedoms, such as freedom of speech, press, to bare arms. Also there was the separation of church and state.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Toussaint l'Ouverture led this uprising, which in 1790 resulted in the successful overthrow of French colonial rule on this Caribbean island. This revolution set up the first black government in the Western Hemisphere and the world's second democratic republic (after the US). The US was reluctant to give full support to this republic led by former slaves.
- The Quadruple Alliance met, to discuss the Balance of Power. Great Britian got to have their conquered colonies, Austria got Venetia and Lombardy and Polis lands, and Prussia and Russia were compensated.
- peninsulares, creoles, mestizos, mulatoes, african, natives
- everyone has a job and live in small communities. They enjoy working and living together. They also share most everything and work hard. This system soon came to an end. (a utopian society). Revolution of the high class - then dictatorship over working class (NO private property)
Phase 1 - revolution, boargeosies vs proletariats
Phase 2 - take control (dictate) of everything
- he dominated French and European history from 1799 to 1815. During his reign, he built and lost an empire and also spread ideas about nationalism in Europe
5 True/False questions
Technological Advancements → it changed the way people lived and worked. The increase in technology to move things (steam engine) and make things (weave cotton) made cottage industry inefficient. Inventors - invented advanced machines to make production of goods quicker and easier. Steam power transformed both farm production and the transportation system.
Ancien Regime → The traditional political and social order in Europe before the French Revolution
Caudillos → post revolutionary latin America, a strong leader who ruled chiefly by military force, usually with the support of the landed elite.
King Louis XVI (16th) → Also known as the sun king, king louis ____ was an absolute ruler. This meant that he had total power over france. Louis reign was consigered the best example of an absolute monarchy. Louis took the throne at age 23 only a day after King Mazarins death. The palace of Versailles was home to the kings of france from 1682 to 1790 and it was a sybol of King Louis absolute rule. The court of Louis was imitated throughout Europe.
Chinese Commercial Systems (Tribute) → a way of paying homage to Emperor by bringing gifts and performing kowtow (deep ceremonial bow)