5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Qing Dynasty
- King Louis XIV (14th)
- Unification of Italy
- Opium Wars
- Leopold II
- a as the second time when the whole of China was ruled by foreigners, the Manchu. Very Succesful but eventually collapsed
- b .In 1830s, nationalist leader, Giuseppe Mazzini, founded Young Italy whose goal was to constitute Italy as one free independent, republican nation. In 1860, ally of Mazzini, Giuseppe Garibaldi recruited volunteers and won control of Sicily. Next, Garibaldi turned Naples and Sicily over to Victor Emmanuel. Successors of Count Camillo Cavour acquired Venetia and soon Rome was won back when France had to withdraw its troops during the Franco-Prussian War. Last, Italy becomes a united nation, which it hadn't been since the fall of the Roman Empire. Butt... Young Italy had many problems, too. North and South Italy had many disputes and there was hostility between church and state. When turmoil occurred, the government was forced to extend rights to more men and improve social conditions. However, by 1914, Italy was better off than it had been in 1861.
- c Chinese appeal to britians queen to stop the opium trade. The british government does not reply. China searches british ships, throwing opium cargo into the ocean. British declare war 1839. British win
- d Also known as the sun king, king louis ____ was an absolute ruler. This meant that he had total power over france. Louis reign was consigered the best example of an absolute monarchy. Louis took the throne at age 23 only a day after King Mazarins death. The palace of Versailles was home to the kings of france from 1682 to 1790 and it was a sybol of King Louis absolute rule. The court of Louis was imitated throughout Europe.
- e (reigned 1865-1909) King of Belgium who employed Henry Morton Stanley to help develop commercial ventures and establish a colony called the Congo Free State in the basin of the Congo River
5 Multiple choice questions
- Italian nationalist
recruits 1,000 Red Shirt volunteers who conquer Sicily and Napels
gives his won land to Cavour
- a way of paying homage to Emperor by bringing gifts and performing kowtow (deep ceremonial bow)
- was a period of radical social and political upheaval in French and European history. The absolute monarchy that had ruled France for centuries collapsed in three years. French society underwent an epic transformation as feudal, aristocratic, and religious privileges evaporated under a sustained assault from liberal political groups and the masses on the streets.
- means being very conservative. The government ruled with a monarchy and the ruler didn't trust any ordinary people. In conservatism they used the estate system - first estate - 2nd estate- 3rd estate. This was important because conservatism rule was very stable - it was a stable rule
- when a group of military men hired by the british east India company grew to distrut the british because of a rumor going around that they used pig and cow fat to douse their guns cartridges. Pig and cow fat was very sacred to the hindus and muslims and it caused them to be distraught and rebel, they were thrown in jail. This caused others to fight to save them.
5 True/False questions
Cottage vs Factory System → means being very conservative. The government ruled with a monarchy and the ruler didn't trust any ordinary people. In conservatism they used the estate system - first estate - 2nd estate- 3rd estate. This was important because conservatism rule was very stable - it was a stable rule
Concert of Europe → Loose series of European alliances where nations would help one another if a revolution broke out. It didn't stop revoltuions from occurring, but it did stop many nations from fighting each other.
Realpolitik → (reigned 1865-1909) King of Belgium who employed Henry Morton Stanley to help develop commercial ventures and establish a colony called the Congo Free State in the basin of the Congo River
Spheres of Influence → was a diplomatic agreement that carved up a weaker people's territory into areas dominated by an imperialist country, extremely humiliating to the weaker people.
Napoleon → he dominated French and European history from 1799 to 1815. During his reign, he built and lost an empire and also spread ideas about nationalism in Europe