5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- British East India Company
- Cottage vs Factory System
- Taiping Rebellion
- Technological Advancements
- Unification of Italy
- a a1854-1868 peasant led 14 year-long rebellion in China; demanded equality, no private propery, dividing of harvest (they lost)
- b it changed the way people lived and worked. The increase in technology to move things (steam engine) and make things (weave cotton) made cottage industry inefficient. Inventors - invented advanced machines to make production of goods quicker and easier. Steam power transformed both farm production and the transportation system.
- c the _____ system differed from the __________ system because _______ was in the home and the whole family worked together off of manually powered machines unlike in the factory system families were separated, you work long hours, work off of electrically powered machines and are treated badly.
- d .In 1830s, nationalist leader, Giuseppe Mazzini, founded Young Italy whose goal was to constitute Italy as one free independent, republican nation. In 1860, ally of Mazzini, Giuseppe Garibaldi recruited volunteers and won control of Sicily. Next, Garibaldi turned Naples and Sicily over to Victor Emmanuel. Successors of Count Camillo Cavour acquired Venetia and soon Rome was won back when France had to withdraw its troops during the Franco-Prussian War. Last, Italy becomes a united nation, which it hadn't been since the fall of the Roman Empire. Butt... Young Italy had many problems, too. North and South Italy had many disputes and there was hostility between church and state. When turmoil occurred, the government was forced to extend rights to more men and improve social conditions. However, by 1914, Italy was better off than it had been in 1861.
- e A joint stock company that controlled most of India during the period of imperialism. This company controlled the political, social, and economic life in India for more than 200 years.
5 Multiple choice questions
- post revolutionary latin America, a strong leader who ruled chiefly by military force, usually with the support of the landed elite.
- Absolute monarchy, caused many crisisis and Revolts in England. Took on a role of a depressed and in debt country
- was the result of a long term struggle between Russia and the Ottoman Empire. The ottoman empire had long controlled most of the Balkans in SE Europe. By 1800, the ottoman empire was in decline and it's authority over the balkin territories weakened. Russia hoped to gain control of this territory in order to become a major super. Russians invaded the Turkish balkins. Then the ottomans declared war on Russia. Then Great Britain and france declared war on Russia the following year.
- this was a movement to restore China to the Chinese. A group of shadow boxers that beieved that they could dodge bullets. They hated foreigners and Chinese converts to Christianity. They killed many people until they were stopped by the british.
- Also known as the sun king, king louis ____ was an absolute ruler. This meant that he had total power over france. Louis reign was consigered the best example of an absolute monarchy. Louis took the throne at age 23 only a day after King Mazarins death. The palace of Versailles was home to the kings of france from 1682 to 1790 and it was a sybol of King Louis absolute rule. The court of Louis was imitated throughout Europe.
5 True/False questions
Opium Wars → Chinese appeal to britians queen to stop the opium trade. The british government does not reply. China searches british ships, throwing opium cargo into the ocean. British declare war 1839. British win
Industrial Revolution → An agrarian revolution and industrialization that began in Great Britain that caused a shift from an economy based on farming and handicrafts to an economy based on manufacturing machines in factories. The significnce of the industrial revolution was that it aloud products to be mass produced. The reasons the IR began in GB was that they had increased food supply so pop. Increased and they had a high labor supply, they had a ready supply of money for the factories, they had plentiful natural resources and that had a supply of markets which gave the manufacturers a ready outlet for their goods.
Liberalism → the belief that people should be as free as possible from government restraint. Based off of equality. They were run by a democracy, but you can still have a king. The people of ____________ were aloud to vote. The significance of this was that they were aloud to have their freedoms, such as freedom of speech, press, to bare arms. Also there was the separation of church and state.
Revolutions of 1848 → when the government of Louis Phillippe refused to make changes his government was overthrown. The middle class was looking for the right to vote and the lower class where struggling during the tough economic times. A group or moderate and radical republicans set up a provisional government or temporary gov't. they wanted a government where in which leaders are elected.
Nationalism → is the system when people can have private ownership over anything. Such as a business or land. In capitalism they use capital. This system is based around making a good profit government has no say over business.