Physical Science Test 5 Multiple Choice
Terms in this set (90)
What is the point on the celstial sphere representing the extension of the axis of Earth's north pole?
NORTH CELESTIAL POLE
What is the name of the path on the sky that the sun appears to follow as it moves among the stars?
The angular measure in degress north or south of the celestial equator is called which of the following?
Which of the following is part of the suns structure?
Why are sunspots darker than the regions of the sun around them?
THEY ARE COOLER THAN THE SURROUNDING MATERIAL
Where in the sun does fusion of hydrogen occur?
ONLY THE CORE
The part of the sun's structure that we see in visible light is which of the following?
What force keeps the all stars from flying apart?
Which property classifies the star based on its temperature?
ITS SPECTRAL TYPE
A relatively cool star is which of the following?
At the end of the sun's life what kind of object will remain?
White dwarf star
The famous horse head nebula is which of the following?
A DARK NEBULA
A white dwarf has about the same diameter as which of the following?
What is the fundamental quantity of a start that indicates its ultimate fate?
What event is believed to create elements heavier than iron?
A SUPERNOVA EXPLOSION
Black holes appear black for what basic reason?
LIGHT CANNOT ESCAPE THEM
The Milky way is classified as what kind of galaxy?
How much of the universe appears to be normal ordinary matter?
What key observation led Hubble to conclude that the universe is expanding?
THE REDSHIFT OF LIGHT FROM DISTANT GALAXIES
What is the cosmic background radiation?
THE LIGHT ENERGY REMNANTS OF THE EXPLOSION IN WHICH THE UNIVERSE WAS BORN
1. Which of the following is not a general physical feature of the moons surface?
2. Which one of the following statements is true?
THE MOON IS THE SECOND BRIGHTEST OBJECT IN THE SKY
3. Most craters on the surface of the moon are believed to be cause by which of the following?
4. What is the oldest type of surface on the moon?
5. Which of the following statements is false?
THE MOON ROTATES AND REVOLVES WESTWARD
6. The rising of the moon in the east and its setting in the west are due to which of the following?
THE EARTHS ROTATION
7. During 1 month the moon passes through how many different phases?
8. What is the approximate time between new and full moons?
9. The first quarter moon is overhead at what time?
10. A lunar eclipse occurs during what phase of the moon?
11.Which of the following is not a contributing factor in cause eclipses?
THE ROTATION OF THE EARTH ON ITS AXIS
12. During a total eclipse of the sun the center of totality goes across the surface of the earth in which direction?
WEST TO EAST
13. The two daily high tides are due mainly to which of the following?
THE DIFFERENTIAL GRAVITATIONAL ATTRACTION OF THE MOON BECAUSE OF THE INVERSE SQUARE RELATIONSHIP
14. When do spring tides on the earth take place?
NEAR THE TIMES OF FULL AND NEW MOONS
15. Which of the following planets has no moon?
16. Which of the following planets has the most moons?
17. How many galilean moons are there?
18. Which of the following is the largest moon in the solar system?
19. Which of the following is the second largest moon in the solar system?
20. Which are the four galilean moons of jupiter?
IO EUROPA GANYMEDE CALLISTO
21. The cassini huygens probe successfully landed on which of the following?
22. Which dwarf planet has no moons?
23. Which dwarf planet moon as a rotation period and revolution period that are the same as the rotation period of its parent planet?
24 Which of the following is not a true of asteroids?
THEY ARE LOCATED MAINLY IN ORBITS AROUND THE SUN BETWEEN THE EARTH AND MARS
25. Which of the following is not true of comets?
THEY CAN BE OBSERVED ON ENTERING THE SOLAR SYSTEM
26. Which of the following is (are) true of meteoroids?
THEY ARE SMALL SOLID INTERPLANETARY METALLIC AND STONY OBJECTS. THEY ARE USUALLY SMALLER THAN A KILOMETER. THEY ARE KNOWN AS METEORS WHEN THEY ENTER THE EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE. THEY ARE KNOWN AS METEORITES WHE THEY STRIKE THE EARTH'S SURFACE. (ALL OF THE PRECEEDING WERE TRUE)
1. About how many plates exist on the earth?
2. Which of the following correctly describes the lithosphere?
IT CONSISTS OF THE CRUST AND PART OF THE UPPER MANTLE
3. What layer is close to the melting point of rock and is relatively plastic?
4. Which of the following geologic evidence does not support continental drift?
SIMILAR TYPES OF RIVERS ON EVERY CONTINENT
5. Wegener proposed what name for the ancient giant supercontinent he envissioned?
6. Which of the following is a primary cause of volcanoee, earthquakes, and mountain building?
7. Which of the following is not a type of plate boundary?
8. The principle of isostasy states that the depth to which a floating object sinks into underlying material depends on which two properties?
DENSITY AND THICKNESS
9. What process during plate collisions leads to the formation of volcanic islands arcs?
10. On the Richter scale a magnitude 7.0 earthquake is how many times more powerful than a magnitude 6.0 earth quake?
11.By what name is an upward pointing arch of a fold known?
12. Which of the following is not a mountain building mechanism?
1. What is the general wearing away of high places and transporting of material to lower places called?
2. Which type of mechanical disintegration is due to rocks and minerals colliding in a moving current?
3. Which two primary factors does the rate of weathering of rock depend on?
TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY
4. Chemical weathering can be determined by analyzing what property of a rock?
5.Which of the following are agents that cause erosion?
STREAMS GLACIERS AND WAVES
6. In a desert what is the prime mover of the land material?
7. What term refers to the downslope movement of soil and rock fragments that is caused solely by gravity?
8. Which of the following best describes the total amount of water on the earth?
9. About what percent of Earth's surface is fresh water?
10.What energy sources powers the Earth's hydrologic cycle?
11. At a depth of 11 km (7 mi) what are the deepest regions below the ocean called?
12.Which of the following is a feature of coastal deposition?
1. Which of the following is not a characteristic property of a mineral?
LOW BOILING POINT
2. Density is related most closely with which property of identifying minerals?
3. The simple common method of classifying minerals depends on which general property?
4.What does the Mohs Scale measure?
5. Which of the following scientists is generally designated the " father of Geology?"
6. Which of the following is not one of the three basic classes of rocks?
7. Coal is the compacted remains of plant matter. What basic type of rock is coal?
8. Which of the following does the rock cycle describe?
THE INTERRELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN ROCK PRODUCING PROCESSES
9. Igneous rocks are classified according to their combination of chemical composition and what else?
10. What does the grains size of an igneous rock tell a scientist about the rock?
THE RATE AT WHICH THE MOLTEN ROCK COOLED
11. Which of the following is not an igneous rock?
12. What are plutons?
BODIES OF INTRUSIVE IGNEOUS ROCKS
13. Which of the following statements is true?
DIKES ARE INRUSIVE IGNEOUS ROCK
14 What type of volcano forms a layered composite cone?
15. How does sedimentary rock from the ocean floor some times end up in highland and mountainous regions on earth?
SEDIMENTARY ROCK WAS UPLIFTED BY POWERFUL FORCES TO FORM MOUNTAIN CHAINS
16. Which of these is a common color of sedimentary rock?
17. What is the process of transforming sediment into sedimentary rock called?
18. To which rock does the metamorphosis of limestone lead?
19. Metamorphism occurs for which class of rocks?
ALL--METAMORPHIC, SEDIMENTARY, IGNEOUS
20. Which of these is not a common metamorphic rock?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Geology 101 final csuf layton
Earth and Environmental Practice Exam
Earth and Environmental Practice Exam
Geology 1403 Final Review
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Consumer Economics Test 1
Physical Science Test 5 Fill in the Blank
BFA Master Vocabulary
World Religions Final Vocabulary
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Chem 108 midterm
weekly homework questions CHEM 108
Physical Science Final
Physical Science Survey Quiz 3