5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a V. lose animation; lose strength. Left at Miss Minchin's school for girls while her father went off to war, Sarah Crewe refused to languish; instead, she hid her grief and actively befriended her less fortunate classmates.
- b N. record of a voyage or flight; record of day to day activities. "Flogged two seamen today for insubordination" wrote Captain Bligh in the Bounty's log. To see how much work I've accomplished recently, just take a look at the number of new files listed on my computer log.
- c ADJ. clear. A limpid stream ran through his property.
- d V. detest. Booing and hissing, the audience showed how much they loathed the wicked villain.
- e V. impose (a fine); collect (a payment). Crying "No taxation without representation," the colonists demonstrated against England's power to levy taxes.
5 Multiple choice questions
- N. theft. Because of the prisoner's record, the district attorney refused to reduce the charge from grand larceny to petty larceny.
- N. sleight of hand. The magician demonstrated his renowned legerdemain.
- V. tilt; lean over. That flagpole should be absolutely vertical; instead, it lists to one side. (secondary meaning)
- ADJ. amoral; lewd and lascivious; unrestrained. Unscrupulously seducing the daughter of his host, Don Juan felt no qualms about the immorality of his licentious behavior.
- V. beat; thrash verbally or physically. It was painful to watch the champion lambaste his opponent, tearing into him mercilessly.
5 True/False questions
longevity → N. small surgical tool for making incisions. With the sharp tip of her lancet, Doctor Wheeler cut into the abscess, opening it to let it drain.
lionize → V. treat as a celebrity. She enjoyed being lionized and adored by the public.
lope → N. metal-bearing vein. If this lode that we have discovered extends for any distance, we have found a fortune.
lethal → ADJ. coming from the side. In order to get good plant growth, the gardener must pinch off all lateral shoots.
liberator → N. one who sets free. Simon Bolivar, who led the South American colonies in their rebellion against Spanish rule, is known as the great liberator. liberate,V.