Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
POLITICAL SCIENCE TEST #3
Terms in this set (34)
Any organization that is structured hierarchically: those at the top give the orders, those on the bottom follow them.
3. Explicit Rules
Max Weber's 4 Characteristics
Efficient in their job without picking favorites.
Political Parties giving public office to its supporters (also called patronage)
Established the Meritocracy
Prohibits bureaucrats from working elections on behalf of the party or their candidates.
Employees held accountable for their actions.
1. Individuality and Creativity can be stifled.
2. Workers are rewarded for following rules
3. outcomes can take a long, long time.
4. Bureaucratic Procedures (Red Tape) can frustrate average citizens.
Consequences of Rule System
The complex procedures and regulations surrounding bureaucratic activity.
1. Deal with fundamental activities
2. Departments respond to national problems
3. Responses to changing public needs
Why are bureaucratic agencies created?
Departments, Independent Agencies, Independent Regulatory Agencies, Government Corporations
Types of Agencies
1. Provide advice for critical areas
2. fifteen departments
3. heads of departments called secretaries
-Department heads make up the cabinent
- Appointed by president, confirmed by senate.
Government organizations that are independent of the departments but with a narrower policy focus. These are independent from the president and vary in freedom from judicial review.
-Government organizations that regulate various businesses
-Total of 38
-Intended to be free of political influence
-most important run by a board of three or more members on fixed terms
Independent Regulatory Agencies
-Companies formed by congress to provide goods or services to the public.
Sets with similar terms
CH-8 KTR Bureaucracy
Final Review!!! TEST #4
American Politics Chapter 9
Ap Government Unit 6 Notecards
Other sets by this creator
FILM 412 - LAST TEST
SWK 325.001 Final
Film Test #3
Ceramics Quiz 2