Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
ENGLISH 2025 GRANGER FINAL
Terms in this set (42)
List the 2 Tributes from District 1
Marvel and Glimmer
List the 2 Tributes from District 2
Cato and Clove
List the Tributes from District 5
List the Tributes from District 6
ROBINSON CRUSOE and MOLL FLANDERS
TOM JONES and JOSEPH ANDREWS
THE LIFE AND OPINIONS OF TRISTRAM SHANDY and GENTLEMAN
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE,
Sir Walter Scott
William Makepeace Thackeray
TALE OF TWO CITIES
First American Novel?
THE POWER OF SYMPATHY by William Hill Brown
James Fenimore Cooper
THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS
THE SCARLET LETTER
William Dean Howells
MAIN TRAVELLED ROADS
WHAT HAPPENED TO MAISIE
ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN
MAGGIE: A GIRL OF THE STREETS,
THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE
F. Scott Fitzgerald
THE GREAT GATSBY
THE SUN ALSO RISES
THE SOUND AND THE FURY
What is a novel?
An extended work of prose fiction
What does "roman" mean?
French term for novel
Comes from the word "romance"
Characteristics of romance novels? (5 things)
2. Courtly love
4. Dangerous quests
5. Supernatural events
What is a novella?
Italian word for novel
Means "a little nothing"
What is a picarao/picaresque novel? Example?
A genre of prose fiction that depicts the adventures of a roguish hero/heroine of low social class who lives by his or her wits in a corrupt society.
Example: Don Quixote by Cervantes
Four loose categories of romance novels?
1. The Matter of Rome - history and legends of Greece and Rome (myths, Alexander the Great, Trojan war)
2. The Matter of Britain - Celtic subject matter, especially Camelot (King Arthur, Knights of the Round Table)
3. The Matter of England - stories based on English heroes (King Horn, Guy of Warwick)
4. The Matter of France - French heroes (Charlemagne, Roland, French knights)
Characteristics of a novella? (4) Examples?
1. Tale in short prose
2. Popular tales
3. 14th century
4. 20k - 50k words
Examples: Decameron by Boccaccio; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Examples of English novels? (7)
1. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Dafoe
2. Moll Flanders by Daniel Dafoe
3. Gulliver's Travel by Jonathan Swift
4. Pamela by Samuel Richardson (first book critics will recognize as a fully conceived novel)
5. Joseph Andrews by Henry Fielding (satire of "Pamela")
6. Tom Jones by Henry Fielding
7. Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
Subject matter? (4 things)
1. Focus on character
2. Focus on series of incidents
3. Focus on scientific determinism
4. Focus on stream-of-consciousness
Example of "focus on stream-of-consciousness"? (4)
1. The Sound of the Fury by William Faulkner
2. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
3. Ulysses by James Joyce
4. Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce
Examples of "focus on character"?
1. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
2. Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
3. Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser
Examples of "focus on series of incidents"?
1. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
2. Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe
3. Don Quixote by Cervantes (picaresque novels)
Example of "focus on scientific determinism"?
Naturalistic novels by Stephan Crane
Who wrote the Leatherstocking Tales?
James Fenimore Cooper
Sets found in the same folder
English 2025 Saundra Granger FINAL
English 2025 Granger Midterm
English 2025 Final
English 2025 Literary Terms
Sets with similar terms
British Literature - Part 1
English 12 Semester 1 Exam
English quiz 464-474
English Test: The Middle Ages
Other sets by this creator
ENGLISH 2025 Harry Potter and Sorcerer's Stone Mul…