Upgrade to remove ads
Project MGMT- Chp 10
Terms in this set (28)
The logical relationship between the start and finish of one activity and the start and finish of another activity
Overlapping of tasks
Shortening project tasks
Why/When are 'Lags' used?
Lags are sometimes incorporated into networks to allow for greater flexibility in network construction
What is the most common type of Lag?
Finish to Start
Finish to Start Lag is Added/Subtracted during forward pass
Finish to Start Lag is Added/Subtracted during backward pass
Definition: Finish to Finish Lag
Two activities share a similar completion point
What happens during Finish to Finish Lag?
Finish of activities with similar end times have lag time added to both. (maintain same complteion time)
Lag is added to the higher completion time.
Start to Start Dependency
Lag is added to the lower value start time.
What does Laddering cause?
Laddering is high/low cost
Why is Crashing possible?
SME and project managers tend to give the pessimistic estimate, rather than the optimistic (or realistic) one
When/How to crash a project?
1) When project is behind schedule
2) Recognize a relation between project cost and schedule
3) Provides the project manager information to make "informed decisions" about trade-off of time for cost, or vice versa
3 Principal methods of crashing a project?
1) Changing resources (productivity, methods, and quantity)
2) Changing the scope
3) Changing the sequencing
What is Brook's Law?
Adding new resources to a project will cause a delay
Overtime affect on crashing?
Only work to some extent
After 10-16 hours of overtime, productivity will decrease
Affect of crashing parallel processing activities that were designed to be sequential?
Causes high risk of reducing quality of the output
Affects of Scope Reduction?
Needs careful resetting of clients or stakeholders expectation
Crash cost and times are not given...
Negotiated based on your relationships with your team members and stakeholders
What should be known inside and out?
What activities should be shortened?
1) Early activities on CP
2) Shortening longest activities on CP
3) Shortening easiest activities on CP
4) Shortening activities that are least costly to speed up on CP
5) Shortening activities for which you have more resources on CP
6) Increasing the number of work hours per day
2 keys to shortening CP?
1) Choose activities n the CP that are earlier in the project
2) Choose activities on the CP with longer durations
3 Factors to consider while crashing project?
1) The amount by which an activity is crashed is permissible
2) Whether the project will be finished by the due date
3) Total cost of crashing should be as small as possible
Crash Cost equation:
Crash Cost per period= (Crash cost - Normal cost) / (Normal time - Crash time)
How to pick which to crash?
A) Can still be crashed?
B) Smallest cost to crash?
C) If equal then choose longest activity time
Definition: Fast Tracking
Parallel processing activities or overlapping them
Definition: Schedule Crashing
Obtaining the greatest amount of schedule compression for the leas incremental cost
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Project MGMT- Chp 7
Project MGMT: Chp 8
Project MGMT- Chp 13
Project MGMT- Chp 14
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Project Management Chapter 9
MGMT 460- Chapter 9
Ch. 9: Reducing Project Duration
Project Management Ch. 9
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Supply Chain Final pt. 1
Project MGMT- Chap 11