5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Gatekeeping function
- Cultural Universal
- Organic solidarity
- Emile Durkheim's research on suicide
- a A common practice or belief found in every culture
- b Durkheim's term for the interdependence that results from people needing others to fulfill their jobs; solidarity based on the interdependence brought about by the division of labour
- c A segment of society that share a distinctive pattern of mores, folkways, and values that differs from the pattern of the larger society.
- d Filtering what information the audience recieve and how we get it, also filters the information that the audience does not recieve.
- e His research suggests that suicide, although it is a solitary act, is related to group life. Religous affiliations had a lower rate; the unmarried had a much higher rate; soldiers were more likely to take their lives; higher rate at times of peace than at time of war; higher rate at times of instability rather than prosperity....reflected the extent to which people were integrated into the group life of the society
5 Multiple choice questions
- *Efficiency - the optimal method for accomplishing a task.
*Calculability - objective should be quantifiable (e.g., sales) rather than subjective (e.g., taste).
*Predictability - standardized and uniform services. "Predictability" means that no matter where a person goes, they will receive the same service and receive the same product every time when interacting with the McDonaldized organization.
*Control - standardized and uniform employees, replacement of human by non-human technologies
- A group in society that influences an individual's purchasing behavior
- Many of our daily activities, we try to convey distinct impressions of who we are
- A printed or written form used to obtain information from a respospondant
- Emphasizes the way in which the parts of a society are structured to maintain its stability.
5 True/False questions
Charles Horton Cooley → Being promoted to a level of being incompetant.
Achieved status → A social position that a person attains largely through his or her own efforts
Functionalist Persective on media functions and dysfunctions → Function of media; informs us, educate-socialize,promote cunsuption, entertain, enforces norms, unifing, promotes cohesion....
Characteristics of bureaucracy → does not create policy but, rather, enacts it. Law, policy, and regulation normally originates from a leadership
Culture → The totality oflearned, socially transmitted cutoms, knowledge, material objects, and behavior