5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Peter Principle
- Sociological Imagination
- Funcionalist Perspective
- Karl Marx
- a Being promoted to a level of being incompetant.
- b A norm governing everyday behavior whose violation raises comparatively little concern
- c founder of modern communism; He was responsible for the prespective Conflict
- d Emphasizes the way in which the parts of a society are structured to maintain its stability.
- e An awareness of the relationship between an individual and the wider society, both today and in the past
5 Multiple choice questions
- He advanced the belief that we learn who we are by interacting with others
- a research method in which investigators systematically observe people while joining them in their routine activities
- A social position that a person attains largely through his or her own efforts
- A common practice or belief found in every culture
- A person's social position assigned to a person by society without regard for the person's unique talents or characteristics
5 True/False questions
Auguste Comte → Coined the term "sociology" Once the word was coined people had the responsiblity to make the word better; He lived in the 19th century
Culture Shock → The feeling of suprise and disoreintation that people experience when they encounter cultural practices that are different from their own.
Formal Organizations → affects the overall cultural practices of a society; it also shapes the image that we hold or oursleves
Interationist Perspective → Media shapes day-to-day social behavior. Consumes time. Babysits kids. New forms of Communication
Mcdonaldization of America → *Efficiency - the optimal method for accomplishing a task.
*Calculability - objective should be quantifiable (e.g., sales) rather than subjective (e.g., taste).
*Predictability - standardized and uniform services. "Predictability" means that no matter where a person goes, they will receive the same service and receive the same product every time when interacting with the McDonaldized organization.
*Control - standardized and uniform employees, replacement of human by non-human technologies