• Collective body acting as one will, but comprised of many persons
• The conflicts caused by people's varying interests are outweighed by a common interest for the security of themselves and their property, which is lacking in the SON
• General will is sovereign
-Representation is incompatible with sovereignty
-R would say, you can not divide up sovereignty, it remains with all the people undivided.
-In order for the General Will to be effective, an egalitarian society must exists in which each person has a vote and the action of society have an equal effect upon all
• Individual liberty, each person acting on his own will
• Citizens are bound by their equal possession of individual liberty, they unite into a society to prevent infringements on these liberties
• Mill specifies even, that law should not impose itself on a man acting in a way disapproved of others because he has "perfect freedom, legal and social, to do the action and stand the consequences unless he affects others interests"
-Representative Dem. has the chance to oppress minority opinion to maintain in the majority power and stop any ideas not in accordance with the majority.
15th Edition•ISBN: 9780205994861Susan A. MacManus, Thomas R. Dye 1st Edition•ISBN: 9781938168178Glen Krutz 11th Edition•ISBN: 9781305093300Michael D. Reisig, Todd R. Clear 16th Edition•ISBN: 9780133905045George C. Edwards III, Martin P. Wattenberg, Robert L. Lineberry