Create an account
Who makes better choices?
• Maximizers usually make better choices but have more difficulty in making a choice and are less satisfied with their choices
The assumption that an item that resembles members of some category is also in that category
The tendency to assume that if we easily think of examples of a category, then that category must be common
Accepting a hypothesis and then looking for evidence to support it instead of considering other possibilities
The tendency to answer a question differently when it is framed (phrased) differently
How does developing expertise affect the brain?
• Developing expertise expands the axons and dendrites of neurons relevant to a skill
How does unconscious thinking benefit problem solving?
• Likely to choose item with more positives and fewer negatives
• More likely to be happy with their choice
The ability to combine our words into new sentences that express an unlimited variety of ideas
Does brain size determine language ability?
• No - normal human brain size and normal intelligence do not automatically produce language
What evidence is there of language acquisition device? (2)
• Deaf children invent a sign language of their own
• Children learn to use complex grammatical structures even though they don't hear that kind of expression very often
How does damage to Broca's area (Broca's aphasia) affect language?
• Especially impaired with using and understanding grammatical devices
How does damage to Wernicke's area (Wernicke's aphasia) affect language?
• Impaired recall of nouns and impaired comprehension of language, despite the ability to speak fluently and grammatically
When do children string words into combinations they have not heard before?
• Once they speak 2-word combinations (around 2 years old)
What happens to children who are not exposed to language?
• A child who doesn't learn a language while young is permanently impaired at learning one
Name 2 advantages of being bilingual.
• Can communicate with more people
• Gain practice in controlling attention, shifting from on language frame to another; improve the skills needed for controlling attention in other areas such as tasks that require someone to ignore distractions and tasks in which the instructions change suddenly
Name 2 disadvantages of being bilingual.
• Children take longer to master two languages
• Usually don't master one as well as a person who spoke only one language
What does the way you perceive a sentence depend on?
• Your knowledge of the world and all the assumptions that you share with the speaker or writer of the sentence
Give 3 examples of limits to our language understanding.
• Doubly embedded sentences
• Double negatives (triple negatives, etc.)
• With a single negative, people often don't fully accept the meaning of the word not (e.g. not poison)
Word superiority effect.
Identify the letter more accurately when it is part of a word than when it is presented by itself
How are our perceptions and memories connected?
• Our perceptions and memories are represented by connections among "units" corresponding to sets of neurons. Each unit connects to other units. Any activated unit excited some of its neighbors and inhibits others.
Explain why your eyes only read during fixations. (3)
• Certain neurons in the parietal cortex monitor impending eye movements and send a message to the visual cortex
• Even in total darkness, the visual cortex decreases its activity 75 ms before the eye movement and remains depressed throughout the movement
• Blood flow to the visual cortex decreases, and responsiveness to light decreases. Activity is especially suppressed
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together