Upgrade to remove ads
Section 3 Test
Terms in this set (37)
The sufferings of jesus during his final days in life
What is the first event in Jesus' passion?
1. Jesus enters Jerusalem
- he is welcomed like a triumphant king and chief priests feel threatened
What is the second event in Jesus' passion?
2. The Last Supper
- on Thursday evening Jesus gathers with his apostles for a celebration of the Passover and identifies as the Paschal Lamb where his blood was she'd and flesh was eaten- institutes Eucharist
What is the third event in Jesus' passion?
3. Garden at Gethsemane
- Jesus prays and accepts Jesus' will
What is the fourth event in Jesus' passion?
4. The Trial Before the Sanhedrin
- Sanhedrin: ruling group of Jewish leaders
What is the fifth event in Jesus' passion?
5. The Trial before Pilate
- when Jewish leaders take Jesus to Pilate and change him with leading rebellion against Rome
What is the sixth event in Jesus' Passion?
6. The Scourging
- Jesus is whipped with a whip which has bone and metal in the leather
What is the seventh event in Jesus' Passion?
7. The Crucifixion
- after Jesus carries cross to Golgotha, he is nailed to cross
What is the eighth event in Jesus' Passion?
8. Jesus' death
- He dies quickly, eclipse and earthquake occurs and veil of the Temple
Why did the Jewish leaders want Jesus dead?
- since Jesus challenged their authority, they believed Jesus was undermining them (like when he said he had the power to forgive sins)
- he was charged with BLASPHEMY
Why did the Roman leaders want Jesus dead?
- Jesus is charged with TREASON
- Pilate doesn't fully believe Jesus is guilty of leading rebellion against Rome but everyone was upset and persistent
- only ones who could order death sentence
- they had had 2 jobs- collect taxes and maintain peace
3 metaphors that explains how Jesus frees us from sin and death
1. Jesus, the Suffering Servant
2. Jesus, the Paschal Lamb
3. Jesus, the Ransom for Many
Why did the Father allow His Son to suffer?
So that the power of death would be destroyed and our friendship with God would be restored
This shows Gods Strength
The passage of Jesus from death to new life "on the third day" after his crucifixion, the heart of the Paschal Mystery and the basis of our hope in the resurrection from the dead
Salvation can be attained only by acquiring special, secret knowledge from God or God's agent.
What do Saint Paul's letters address?
Bodily resurrection from the dead
What does the Resurrection's truth reveal?
Jesus is the Son of God and All of His teachings are True
The going up into Heaven of the Risen Christ forty days after his Resurrection
Christ descending into Hell
-After death and before resurrection
- Jesus experiences complete loss of physical life
- souls that have died were awaiting his judgment: those who were righteous went to heaven and unrighteous stayed in Hell
To be sinless and without guilt before God
Incarnation and Ascension
-Linked by symmetry
-incarnation: Jesus comes to earth and assumes human nature
- ascension: Jesus leaves earth to return to heaven
When opposite ends of an equation or event balance each other or hav similar properties or characteristics
What does the ascension reveal?
1. Jesus has authority over heaven, earth and hell
2. All humanity can now spend eternity with God in heaven
3. In paradoxical way, Jesus can be more present to us than before ascension
Statement that seems contradictory or opposed to common sense yet it is true
What are we saved FROM?
1. Guilt and Shame
2. Loneliness, despair and the feeling of being unloved
3. Addictions and attachments to things
What are we saved FOR?
1. Forgiveness and healing
4. Loving communion
5. Eternal life
Directly encountering and seeing God in the glory of Heaven.
A less serious offense against the will of God that weakens but does not rupture ones relationship with God
An action so against the will of God that it results in complete separation from God and his Grace
To be a mortal sin:
- must involve grave matter
- person has full knowledge of evil act
- person gives full consent in committing act
Paschal Mystery saves us...
-For a new and glorious life in loving communion with God and one another
- saved for eternal life
- Christ empties us of bad so he can full us with His wonderful presence
-Immediately after death
- souls rewarded according to our faith and works
- we are judged for if we: believed, obeyed, heared Jesus, etc
When Jesus returns in his glory and all the dead will rise on the last day
- we are saved through love, mercy, power of the holy trinity that we are brought into eternal life
A state of eternal life and union with God in which one experiences full happiness and the satisfaction of the deepest human longings and relationship with God is restored
The eternal punishment of separation from God, reserved for those who die in mortal sin and are unrepentant, this freely and consciously rejected God at the end of their lives
State of final purification or cleansing which one may need to enter following death and before entering heaven
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Theology II — Section 3
Theology II Semester 2 Final
Theology first semester exam
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Thology Section 3 - The Suffering and Death of Jes…
Theology first semester exam
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Semester 1 Gov Exam
Murphy Semester 2 Exam
CP 2 Semester Exam