This test is tmrw imma fail
Terms in this set (64)
Ways of categorizing art include:
Geographical, historical, chronological, thematic
Art is primarily a ____ medium that is used to express our ideas about our human experience and the world around us
Art is a __ phenomenon
a branch of philosophy, a study of creativity, a study of arts and its effects
Craft refers to which of the following?
____________________ styles of art convey intense emotions
Art is always a serious endeavor and never functions as entertainment.
Art is whatever a society or a culture determines as art
The Romans develop ___________ systems from the ___________
Regardless of culture, content is always readily apparent in art
Horizontal lines mostly suggest
Value in art refers to _________ and _________.
Lightness and darkness
Chiaroscuro was first used by fifteenth century _________ painters to give the illusion of rounded forms on a flat surface.
Every color has three properties: hue, value, and
Rhythm in art is demonstrated by the ______ of one or more of the elements of art
Visual texture consists of physical surface variations that can be experienced by the sense of touch.
One of the earliest forms of load bearing construction is the ________ method of construction.
Post and lintel
The use of red and green at Christmas is an example of ___________________ colors.
19. Balance, which involves a mirror-like repetition on either side of a central axis is called ____________________ balance.
20. ____________ sculptures are meant to be viewed from all sides.
Black and white added to colors creates ____ and ____
Shades and tints
22. In ________ printing, areas that are not to be printed are cut away from the printing surface, so the areas to be printed are left higher.
23. The word "intaglio" comes from the Italian verb meaning __________.
To cut into
24. A marble sculpture made by cutting away stone is made in a _______ process.
25. Tempera, gouache, and watercolor are all water-based paint media. TRUE or FALSE
Some contemporary artist use the craft of quilting as an art medium
The actual material substances used to create an artowkr are cslled
28. Photomontage is related to ______________, which can be made of almost anything that can be glued to a surface.
Art has _____ which is the mass of ideas sssociated with each artowkr
Mixed media artworks designed for specific interior or exterior space are called
The content of art refers to its
"Composition" refers to
The arrangement of the formal elements of art
Contemporary art and popular culture never share the same images
Another name for atmospheric persepctive
The space in paintings is referred to as ____.
_____ styles of art focus on the unconscious mind
Larger cast sculptures are created using ____ method of casting
Diagonal lines suggest
One step in the gradation from light to dark is called
46. A ____________ is a picture created out of small colored glass or stone pieces, which are affixed to a surface. These "cubes" or pieces are called "__________".
Smaller focal points are called
The Etruscan tombs were very much like
In the roman empire, Christ was shown as
Mexican votive paintings are cslled
Minarets are associated with which of the following structures:
A city of the dead
Small shrine that contains the remains of a holy person
An example of a Stone Age tomb
Ancient tombs were often oriented to the movement of
The snake goddess was
All forces of nature are inhabited by spirits
The first to photograph war
Means someone has become deified
Ancient symbol of christ
____ created palenque, a large palace with complex high platforms and relief sculptures
Bronze canopy on St. Peter's by Bernini
Most famous Islamic mausoleum
Normal, existing state of affairs
Greek version of human perfection
Fit body and keen mind
Most important body parts in some African tradition
Head and neck
Important and central characteristic of human nature in india
An influential cult during the Hellenistic period that stated that individuals were urged to nobly endure their fate and state in life
13. A(n) ____________ pose depicts a figure standing naturally, with one foot forward and one leg bearing most of the figure's weight.
Yakshi is a representation of