Terms in this set (100)
1. Torts relating to misrepresented facts about a business's goods or services may be subject to a lawsuit
on the basis of
A. defamation. C. intrusion.
B. assault. D. fraud.
2. Aviation, taxation, and commerce are categories of ____________ law.
A. judicial C. administrative
B. legislative D. executive
3. Which of the following is true regarding passenger rights in the air travel industry:
A. There is an international "Bill of Rights" to protect air travel consumers.
B. If baggage is lost, airlines pay a flat fee to reimburse the passenger.
C. It is legal for an airline to overbook a flight.
D. Airlines must provide monetary compensation if a flight is delayed due to bad weather.
4. Wal-Mart, Domino's Pizza, and Avis Rent-a-Car are examples of
A. retailers. C. agents.
B. industrial distributors. D. wholesalers.
5. Channel members of a supply chain should be familiar with antitrust laws so they do not engage in
A. limit monopolies. C. restrict efficiency.
B. hinder competition. D. prohibit authority.
6. Which of the following benefits of partnerships among channel members in a distribution channel has the
most potential for misuse:
A. Improved product quality C. Sharing of sensitive information
B. Lower inventories and operating costs D. Rapid order fulfillment
7. Once you know your group's purpose, what should you do next?
A. Find out what people know about the subject
B. Agree on ground rules
C. Volunteer a new idea
D. Contribute in a useful way
8. Which of the following actions is it important for a speaker to take when s/he makes an oral business
presentation to a large group:
A. Relax the audience by swaying back and forth when speaking
B. Turn away from the audience when presenting visual aids
C. Avoid eye contact with anyone in the audience
D. Speak loudly enough for the audience to hear the message
9. What is a technique that often helps businesspeople to write effective business letters?
A. Developing charts C. Preparing outlines
B. Consulting references D. Asking questions
10. A persuasive message that asks a person to do something should be written in a way that makes it easy
for the person to
A. respond positively. C. answer politely.
B. organize logically. D. read slowly.
11. Customer relations skills such as courtesy and friendliness should be emphasized during a business's
A. facilities design. C. hiring process.
B. market research. D. technology planning.
12. A business improves its technology so it can better meet customer wants and needs. This results from a
business activity known as
A. continuous improvement. C. organizational structuring.
B. employee training. D. business process management.
13. Distribution channel members must keep in mind that customers tend to
A. expect low service levels. C. want immediate delivery.
B. define service differently. D. refuse late shipments.
14. The things that people buy in order to satisfy their economic wants are known as
A. free goods. C. tangible objects.
B. economic votes. D. economic goods and services.
15. Which of the following factors have provided businesses with more opportunities to buy and sell products
at the international level:
A. Protectionism C. Language barriers
B. Free-trade agreements D. Strict safety standards
16. What do businesses often need to do to adapt to today's markets?
A. Remodel corporate facilities C. Participate in international trade
B. Hire new management staff D. Analyze organizational resources
17. A major characteristic of a market economy is __________ ownership of property.
A. monopolistic C. government
B. limited D. private
18. A business that encourages its workers to give input on issues affecting the company is using
A. quality of work life. C. motivation.
B. specialization. D. participative decision-making.
19. Which of the following factors characterizes the growth phase of business cycles:
A. Demand for resources exceeds their availability.
B. Consumers and producers are borrowing more money.
C. Consumers are putting more money into savings.
D. Producers are reducing their purchases of new goods.
20. During a negotiation, Kara tells Jason that she will agree to help him with the department budget, if he
agrees to help her finish a research project. This is an example of
A. unfair collaboration. C. peer pressure.
B. bargaining. D. self-control.
21. When persuading others to go along with a proposed change, you should
A. explain how the change will benefit them.
B. tell them that there's a better way of doing things.
C. minimize the amount of information you give.
D. reinforce your proposal with facts and statistics.
22. Which of the following is an example of processing a transaction with a debit card:
A. Jayden purchased a new video game from Great Deal Electronics using a store-issued card
given to him by his grandfather.
B. Tyler provided his card number and expiration date to the online-travel agency so he could obtain
his airline tickets now and receive his bill for the tickets later.
C. After Ava finished her meal at an upscale restaurant, she presented the server with a card that
provided Ava with a special discount off her bill.
D. When Naomi purchased office supplies, she presented the cashier with a card that automatically
withdrew funds from her business's checking account.
23. If individuals are not self-employed, which of the following is a type of earned income they might receive:
A. Vacation pay C. Interest and dividends
B. Child support income D. Trust disbursements
24. Insurance is a key element in lifelong financial planning that
A. provides protection against financial losses. C. guarantees a solid financial future.
B. protects a person from unethical salespeople. D. is available only to property owners.
25. When Alana prepares a report so that all of the financial data is clearly disclosed, she is ensuring that the
A. transparent. C. timely.
B. relevant. D. flexible.
26. Which of the following would a business use in order to know how much money is available to hire more
A. Accounting information C. Income statement
B. Profit-and-loss statement D. Journal
27. One reason why ethics is important in accounting is because financial records can be
A. made available to the public. C. reviewed by government agencies.
B. interpreted in different ways. D. communicated in writing.
28. One of the roles of ethics in finance is to encourage business employees to
A. make the right decisions. C. sell to customers.
B. increase company profits. D. prepare operating budgets.
29. One way that the use of computer technology benefits human resources management is by
A. reducing the need to interview candidates. C. quickly delegate work assignments.
B. electronically processing information. D. analyzing valuable feedback.
30. Which of the following is an example of external secondary information that a hotel chain might use for
A. Suggestion cards collected from guests C. Guest-registration data
B. Online industry reports D. Occupancy forecasts
31. Which of the following is an example of primary hospitality and tourism market information:
A. Financial statements provided in annual reports
B. Automated guest history records that can be shared by affiliated businesses
C. Reservation records and registration information
D. Free reception for frequent travelers in which feedback is collected
32. Which of the following is a web site that is likely to provide statistical tourism information for a specific
A. The local chapter of the American Marketing Association
B. The Farmer's Almanac
C. Transportation Security Administration
D. The local chamber of commerce
33. A restaurant wants to predict how their customers will react to a new menu. What type of relationship
should the restaurant mine from blogs?
A. Sequential patterns C. Clusters
B. Classes D. Associations
34. Which of the following statements regarding using the Internet to administer questionnaires is true:
A. Interviewers are more likely to influence respondents' answers online.
B. Online questionnaires require more time for data entry and collection.
C. Respondents are more likely to misunderstand online questionnaires.
D. Data-entry and administrative costs are higher for online questionnaires.
35. Calculate the mean using the following statistical table:
Numeric Value of Response -Number of Responses
A. 2.9 C. 3.7
B. 3.3 D. 4.1
36. The research data indicate a correlation of -1 > r > 0. What does that tell you?
A. The two variables tend to increase or decrease together.
B. One variable increases as the other variable decreases.
C. There is perfect correlation between the two variables.
D. The two variables do not vary together at all.
37. The purpose of using presentation software to prepare multimedia presentations often is to use those
A. support report findings. C. develop web sites.
B. maintain customer files. D. access online resources.
38. When presenting research findings orally, you can help an audience of business professionals to better
understand the findings if you
A. designate a research team member to ask questions.
B. call on the audience to explain their understanding of the research.
C. use meaningful comparisons.
D. provide a bibliography of the resources cited.
39. A small, local restaurant has decided to advertise its elegant atmosphere and qualified wait staff. This
approach is an example of __________ marketing.
A. service C. mass
B. product D. target
40. A company wants the public to perceive it as a builder of luxury resorts. What goal does this illustrate?
A. Projecting a certain image C. Increasing efficiency/productivity
B. Increasing sales D. Achieving stability
41. One of the benefits to a hotel of keeping a guest-history file is that the information in the file can help the
A. advertise effectively. C. hire well-trained workers.
B. stay within a budget. D. register walk-in guests efficiently.
42. One way for a hospitality business to obtain current information in a cost-effective and efficient manner is
A. interviewing experts. C. reviewing archived journals.
B. developing a survey. D. accessing an Internet search engine.
43. Information management can be a challenge because
A. there is only one "right" way to do it.
B. there is often not enough information to manage.
C. many people don't understand what it is.
D. no one wants to participate in it.
44. Mr. Edwards saved some confidential customer information from his employer's computer network onto a
flash drive, so that he could work on a project from a different location. Without realizing it, Mr. Edwards
dropped the flash drive in a parking lot on his way to a meeting. This situation is an example of a risk
A. employee privacy. C. information security.
B. patent protection. D. data entry.
45. Which of the following is an example of the digital convergence occurring on the Internet:
A. Internet companies increasing their bandwidth
B. Internet companies offering wireless service
C. Internet companies offering phone service
D. Internet companies increasing their use of WANs
46. One of the reasons why a chain of hotels might analyze and interpret the marketing information
contained in databases is to
A. tabulate findings. C. compare variables.
B. survey guests. D. organize products.
47. Justin's company is keeping documents regarding the accidental death of an employee while on the job.
In case the employee's family sues the company, the business should have __________ records on
A. promotional C. asset
B. payroll D. legal
48. A growing trend that is influencing the way that many companies do business is the concern for
A. distributing the wealth. C. monitoring the economy.
B. protecting the environment. D. regulating the government
49. A current trend in the hospitality industry is to build loyal customer relationships and enhance service
levels by optimizing the use of
A. independent travel agents. C. Internet web sites.
B. satellite roving devices. D. service rating advisors.
50. One way that businesses maintain the security of data that they send over the Internet to clients is by
using a software program that prevents a(n)
A. virus from being downloaded. C. attachment from being included.
B. document from being forwarded. D. search engine from being used.
51. What type of computer program helps protect digital business information from the negative effects of
A. Spyware C. Cookies
B. Firewalls D. Shareware
52. What should an event's project managers do before asking for contributions?
A. Prepare a budget C. Arrange for credit
B. Open an account D. Hold a fund-raiser
53. Which of the following is NOT something you need to complete your project:
A. Sponsors C. Permission
B. Tools D. Money
54. Some businesses use an automatic reorder system to maintain an adequate
A. work environment. C. budget for expenses.
B. inventory of supplies. D. maintenance system.
55. What production activity establishes a timetable?
A. Routing C. Planning
B. Dispatching D. Scheduling
56. When dealing with an actual robbery situation, it is important that employees remember to
A. keep the business's safe locked.
B. keep as little cash on hand as possible.
C. discuss the situation with anyone who asks about it.
D. give the robbers what they want to avoid potential injury.
57. While an adventure tour guide is leading a white-water rafting group, a group member falls and breaks an
ankle. What are the primary provisions the guide needs to help the injured group member?
A. Medical kit and cellular phone C. Map and compass
B. Toolbox and flashlight D. Prescription pain medication
58. People who figure out what they need to do to obtain what they want are often able to
A. compete with others. C. reach their goals.
B. act independently. D. achieve financial success.
59. The job interviewer told Elizabeth at the end of the interview that he couldn't offer her the job because
she lacked a particular skill that the job required. Elizabeth's next step should be to
A. look for another similar job opportunity. C. file a formal complaint with the EEOC.
B. write the interviewer a follow-up letter. D. look for training in the required job skill.
60. Why do many businesses provide opportunities for their employees to continue their education or receive
A. To be able to promote from within C. To identify problems in the company
B. To provide financial assistance D. To support the local community college
61. One of the main benefits for companies participating in a trade show is the opportunity to
A. meet with competitors. C. visit new cities.
B. obtain sales leads. D. hire new employees.
62. A primary reason hospitality employees and businesses join professional or trade organizations is to
A. increase employee productivity. C. qualify for additional government funding.
B. develop promotional efforts and materials. D. obtain further education and certification.
63. What is the typical effect of an economic slowdown on the hospitality industry?
A. An increase in the number of guests and a decrease in the number of rooms available
B. A decrease in the number of guests and an increase in the number of rooms available
C. A decrease in the number of guests and a decrease in the number of rooms available
D. An increase in the number of guests and an increase in the number of rooms available
64. In the travel and tourism industry, customers' perceptions of value and worth are often associated with
A. price. C. place.
B. profit. D. promotion.
65. Why would a graphic designer for an amusement park find the color image of the park on a computer
screen to be different from the park's actual color?
A. Software lacks the capability to depict true colors.
B. The color wheel was not compared with the computer image.
C. Color reproduction processes define different visible areas.
D. Color rendition requires CAD-CAM capabilities.
66. Which of the following would be the best option for restaurant managers to do to encourage the
identification of new product ideas:
A. Encourage family members to generate new product suggestions and ideas
B. Encourage competitors to recommend new product ideas
C. Encourage employees to report new product ideas from other restaurants they visit
D. Encourage their trade association to regularly submit new product ideas to local restaurants
67. Several clients indicate an interest in products that the business does not currently offer. These requests
can be given to buyers to help them to
A. forecast sales. C. select vendors.
B. determine what to buy. D. research the market.
68. How does a product's peak selling season affect a business's purchasing efforts?
A. Businesses usually buy small quantities of the item on a more frequent basis.
B. Businesses generally need less lead time for large quantity orders.
C. Businesses usually base order size on the competition's buying behavior.
D. Businesses generally buy the item in larger quantities.
69. Which of the following is an example of a product in the travel and tourism industry:
A. A brochure explaining cruise options C. An inquiry about flight schedules
B. A fly-drive vacation package D. A confirmation letter to a customer
70. A large company that owns a chain of economy hotels recently developed plans to start a chain of
upscale hotels. This is an example of
A. multicorporate franchising. C. product extensions.
B. market potential. D. property management systems.
71. Which of the following is a service that might influence a business owner's decision to select a certain
A. Budgeting C. Regulating
B. Forecasting D. Advertising
72. Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, which prides itself on its extensive collection of art and artifacts, has
created a series of audio programs featuring discussions with art experts about works of art found at Four
Season Hotels and Resorts around the country. These recordings, available in several different formats,
are available for download at the company's web site. Which of the following terms best describes these
A. Podcasts C. Blogs
B. Social media D. Ad serving
73. Which of the following is an example of a social bookmarking web site:
A. Del.icio.us C. Bing
B. Google D. Facebook
74. Which of the following computer programs prevents e-mail messages containing the word "free" in the
subject header from entering the inbox:
A. Queues C. Filters
B. Gophers D. Servers
75. Using the color yellow in an advertisement would help to create a(n)
A. appropriate ad for St. Patrick's Day. C. very legible advertisement.
B. feeling of cheerfulness and warmth. D. feeling of coolness and quiet.
76. Which of the following has a significant impact on the composition of a print ad:
A. Production costs C. Color harmonies
B. Storyboard D. Dialogue
77. One way to use the concept of digital color is to prepare
A. publicity plans. C. marketing programs.
B. accurate proofs. D. sales procedures.
78. Renaissance is a prestigious cruise line that offers luxury accommodations and charges premium prices.
What factor affecting price of travel products does this illustrate?
A. Corporate image and positioning C. Competitive pricing
B. Discriminatory pricing D. Corporate objectives
79. At the Clara's Pizza Parlor web site, customers are encouraged to send electronic postcards advertising
the restaurant to friends and families. This is an example of __________ word-of-mouth marketing.
A. amplified C. celebrity
B. organic D. inconspicuous
80. Which of the following target markets is most likely to respond favorably to a viral marketing campaign
that includes an interactive game:
A. Male professionals aged 30 to 36 C. Male professionals aged 22 to 29
B. Female professionals aged 22 to 29 D. Female professionals aged 30 to 36
81. Advertising copy that explains the features of a product and how those features benefit consumers is
using a(n) __________ strategy.
A. irrational C. emotional
B. imaginative D. factual
82. Which of the following is effective mobile ad copy for a teenage target market:
A. Psst. Are you hungry? Then stop by Pete's Pizza for a free slice of cheese pizza. Today only.
Tell all your friends. See you soon.
B. RU hngry? thN stop by Pete's <) 4 a fre slice. 2day 1ly. CU sn.
C. Pete's Pizza. Free slice.
D. When was the last time that you ate? Aren't you getting hungry? Then you've got to stop by.
83. Businesses should check the copy and illustrations in the final advertising proof against the
A. line drawings. C. previous version.
B. storyboard. D. rough layout.
84. When identifying community issues for company involvement, most businesses consider participating in
A. contribute to the social good. C. support controversial issues.
B. earn a reasonable profit. D. boost employee loyalty.
85. Which of the following is a guideline for writing a news release:
A. Close with a summary of the main points
B. Be objective in presenting facts
C. Use several pages to tell the complete story
D. Allow the media to correct spelling and grammar
86. What do many businesses plan to attract customers and encourage them to visit their facilities?
A. Market trips C. Press kits
B. Trade shows D. Special events
87. Putting out seasonal merchandise and creating festive displays are activities that are part of a
A. liquidation sale. C. staff party.
B. holiday open house. D. customer appreciation day.
88. Which of the following is an important part of display maintenance:
A. Selecting proper lighting C. Selecting an arrangement pattern
B. Choosing an effective principle of design D. Replacing missing items immediately
89. One way of tracking marketing-communications activities is through the use of
A. questionnaires. C. surveys.
B. databases. D. interviews.
90. What promotional method might a resort hotel use to tell former guests about future theme-weekend
A. Free publicity C. Lobby display
B. Direct mail D. Local media
91. Which of the following is an example of a sales promotion that hotels often use to attract customers:
A. Public relations campaign C. Weekend discount package
B. Local newspaper advertisement D. Cable television commercial
92. What might a travel agency include in a display to graphically show people enjoying a destination or
participating in a tour of exotic places?
A. Videos C. Facts
B. Testimonials D. Souvenirs
93. What type of selling question is the following: "What color of car do you want?"
A. Open-ended C. Impersonal
B. Assumptive D. Interpretive
94. Salespersons who use the products they sell are able to suggest appropriate substitute products to
customers because of their own personal
A. experience. C. feelings.
B. preference. D. opinion.
95. Which of the following is an example of a salesperson empathizing with a customer's objection:
A. "I understand how you feel." C. "Everyone is buying this item."
B. "You think the price is too high." D. "This is the best deal in town."
96. A salesperson should answer a customer's questions and fully explain the benefits of products so that
the customer will
A. feel good about the buying decision. C. be left in a state of indecision.
B. think about making a decision. D. make a quick decision.
97. What type of technique might be effective if a business is trying to sell a large, complex product to
A. Retail selling C. Sale pricing
B. Mass marketing D. Team selling
98. One reason salespeople adjust their sales style from one customer to another is to appeal to each
A. natural aptitude. C. internal ability.
B. hidden objection. D. unique personality.
99. A circumstance that often motivates people to select one lodging facility over another is the
A. food and beverage tax rate. C. use of positioning strategies.
B. seller's personal preferences. D. location of the property.
100. Which of the following is the main purpose of management:
A. To create a pleasant working atmosphere C. To obtain the needed resources
B. To reach a specific level of productivity D. To accomplish the business's goals
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Test Preparation TOEIC, SAT, TOEFL
Buying and Merchandising Test Review
Hospitality and Tourism Exam 1
Hospitality and Tourism Exam 1
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Chapter 4-5 Test
Chapter 4 Vocab Quiz
Chapter 2 Vocab
Sociology Unit 1 Exam
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
DECA product/service management performance indicators
DECA Hospitality Terms
DECA Hospitality Core