Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
APHG Unit 4 : Political Organization of Space
Terms in this set (111)
* laws (no longer in effect) in south africa that physically separated different races into different geographic areas
* process by which a state breaks down through conflicts among its ethnicities
* process by which real estate agents convince white people to sell their homes at low prices because of fear that black families will soon move into the neighborhood
* an attitude that tends to unify people and enhance support for a state
* a force that divides people and countries
* identity with a group of people that share distinct physical/mental traits as a product of common heredity/cultural traditions
* process in which a more powerful ethnic group forcibily removes a less powerful one in order to create an ethnically homogenous region
* a state than contains more than one ethnicity
* a state that contains two or more ethnic groups with traditions of self-determination that agree to coexist peacefully by recognizing each other as distinct nationalities
* loyalty and devotion to a particular nationality
* identity with a group of people that share legal attachment/personal allegiance to a particular place as a result of being born there
* a state whose territory corresponds to that occupied by a particular ethnicity that has been transformed into a nationality
part nation state
* when a nation overlaps the boundaries of multiple states
* identity with a group of people descended from a common ancestor
* belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
* concept that ethnicities have the right to govern themselves
balance of power
* condition of roughly equal strength between opposing countries/alliances of countries
* a conference regulating european colonization and trade in africa. resulted in the "scramble of africa" and subjugation of african nations
* an invisible line that marks the extent of a state's boundary
* a state that is primarily composed of one city and some outside territory
* divisions that separate citizens
* when a state takes control of an uninhabited area and settles it as its own
* a territory that is legally tied to a sovereign state rather than completely independent
* a state in which the distance from the center to any boundary does not vary significantly
* the delegation of authority from a central to a regional government
* a state with a long, narrow shape
exclusive economic zone (eez)
* an area from the shore in which states have rights to explore, exploit, and manage natural resources in the seas
* a country whose land is not all entirely connected. the land is likely to be separated by water
* a country in which the power is shared between the government and individual departments or districts
* a line that separates two states. these often follow natural barriers, such as a river/mountain, but can also be man made, such as walls, but they also tend to be imaginary
* the open waters of an ocean/sea beyond the limits of the territorial jurisdiction of a country
* the changing/manipulating of boundaries
* control of territory already occupied/organized by an indigenous group
* any position advocating annexation of territories administered by another state on the grounds of common ethnicity/prior historical possession, actual or alleged
* a state surrounded on all sides by land
* a very small state
* a state that completely surrounds another one
* a state that has a long extension apart from its main area
* a governments power/authority over the people in the country
* an area organized into a political unit and ruled by an established government with control over its internal and foreign affairs
* a nationality without a state to call its own
* the area of sea around a country's coast recognized as being under that country's jurisdiction
* a state where the government has the supreme power and any lower parties with authority have that authority because the government allows it
* a political entity compromised of many nations cooperating together
* the world's pre-eminent supranational organization, a world governing body enforcing the upkeep of peace and basic human rights worldwide
asian, african, hispanic
what are the three most numerous ethnicities in the united states?
encompasses asian as a race and asian american as an ethnicity together, so it's the same group of people
what's the "problem with the way the u.s census bureau defines "asian"
african american = ethnicity, black = race
what is the difference between "african american" and "black"?
chicago, detroit (SE)
where are african americans clustered?
where are hispanics clustered?
where are asian americans clustered?
* whites emigrate when many blacks move to an area
separate but equal
*louisiana law that states blacks and whites are to ride separate railway cars
how do nations/states foster nationalism?
split into pakistan (muslim) and india (hindu)
when the british ended colonial control of south asia, how was the region divided politically, and how was the region divided ethnically?
why is the region of kashmir a problem?
the point is not simply to defeat the enemy
how is ethnic cleansing different than normal warfare?
albania, bulgaria, greece, romania
list countries of the balkan peninsula
* used to unite several balkan ethnicities that spoke similar south slavic languages
croats, macedonians, mentenegrens, serbs, solvenes
list five nationalities of yugoslavia
croationa, macedonian, serbian, slovene
list four languages of yugoslavia
roman catholic, eastern orthdox, islam
to unionize with serbia and croatia
why did serbs and croats in bosnia ethnically cleanse themselves of bosnia muslims
what country controlled kosovo?
what ethnic group lives in kosovo?
what are the two rival groups in rwanda?
russia, canada, us, china, brazil, australia
list the six largest states in order
27; they are islands
how many microstates are there and how are they recognized?
estonia, latvia, lithuania
list three states in baltic region
belarus, moldova, ukraine
list three states in eastern europe
kazakhstan, kyrgyzstan, tajikistan, turkmenistan, uzbekistan
list five states in central asia
azerbaijan, armenia, georgia
list three states in caucusus
boundaries do not align
what's the main problem of the caucusus region?
promote christianity, receive resources/serve as captive markets for products, establish power
list three reasons europeans sought colonies
which two counties had largest empire?
puerto rico (u.s), greenland (denmark)
list the largest remaining colonies in the world and who possesses each
* boundaries that are made by important features on earth's surface
* boundaries between states that coincide with differences in ethnicity, especially language and religion
deserts, mountains, water
what are three physical boundaries?
compact, elongated, prorupted, perforated, fragmented
list the five shapes of states
where are most of the landlocked states?
need a form of transport to and from sea, need to use another country's seaport to transport goods
what problems do landlocked states have?
* a country that is run according to the interests of the ruler rather than the people
where are unitary states most common?
* spread opposition supporters across many districts but in the minority
* concentrated opposition supporters into a few districts
* links distance areas of like-minded voters through oddly shaped boundaries
* systematic use of violence by a group in order to intimidate a population or coerce a government into granting it's demands
attacks are aimed at ordinary people rather than at military targets/political leaders
why is terrorism different from other acts of political violence?
austria, greece, italy, albania, bulgaria, hungary, romania
list the seven neighbors of yugoslavia
bosnia & herzegovina, croatia, macedonia, montenegro, serbia, slovenia
list the six republics of yugoslavia
* political unit
* cultural unitt
* pride of nation based on group identification with specific culture
* pride of nation based on government system or political ideals that transcends ethnicity
* independence movements in peripheral ethnic regions - seek to break free from core's domination
what is yugoslavia?
one multi-nation state
what is czechoslavakia?
what is palestine?
multi state nation
what is kurdistan?
what is east timor
* separated from the state by another state
* surrounded by another state
* usually legally by someone who is not directly involved
* marked with posts, walls, fences, etc
* some boundaries were defined and delimited before humans settled
* boundaries which developed according to the cultural landscape
* forcibly drawn boundaries across a culturally unified landscape
* border that has ceased to function imprints still evident in cultural landscape
Sets with similar terms
Political Geo & Ethnicity
Human geo vocab chapter 8
APHG: Unit 4- Political Organization of Space
Other sets by this creator
chapter 14 : genetics
biology sem 1 final
Other Quizlet sets
Invasive I - IV Therapy 2
Quiz 2 Ch.23.24
Literary/Historical Allusions #4