Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Unit 1 Ecology Vocab Words
Terms in this set (43)
study of the world using collected knowledge, observation, and experimentation
method of procedure consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.
use of the senses to gather and record information about structures or processes in nature
a sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information (often includes the independent and dependent variable of the experiment)
suggested, testable answer to a well-defined scientific question
a scientific procedure undertaken to make a discovery, test a hypothesis, or demonstrate a known fact:
data that defines a thing statistically
Data that approximates or characterizes but does not measure the attributes, characteristics, properties, etc., of a thing or phenomenon
detailed examination of the elements or structure of something, typically as a basis for discussion or interpretation
the final process of the basic scientific method by which scientists reveal whether the hypothesis was proven correct backed up by data analysis, that supports or refutes the hypothesis.
logical conclusion based on observation
scientific study of the interactions among organisms and between organisms and their environment
any living part of the environment
nonliving physical or chemical condition in an environment
An individual form of life, such as a plant, an animal, a bacterium, a protist, or a fungus; a body made up of organs, organelles, or other parts that work together to carry on the various processes of life
all the organisms of the same group or species, which live in a particular geographical area, and have the capability of interbreeding.
an interacting group of different species in a common location.
A system that includes all living organisms (biotic factors) in an area as well as its physical environment (abiotic factors) functioning together as a unit.
all the parts of the planet that are inhabited by living things; sum of all Earth's ecosystem
the envelope of gases surrounding the earth or another planet
all the waters on the earth's surface, such as lakes and seas, and sometimes including water over the earth's surface, such as clouds.
Logistic Growth Curve
an S-shaped, curve used to map functions of initially gradual increase, rapid increase in the middle growth period and a slow leveling off to a maximum value at the end
Exponential Growth Curve
a phenomenon that occurs when the growth rate of a population increases and increases usually due to unlimited resources
A predator is an organism that eats another organism. The prey is the organism which the predator eats.
organism that makes its own food
organism that obtains food by eating other organisms
an organism, especially a soil bacterium, fungus, or invertebrate, that breaks down organic material.
feeding level in an ecosystem
pathway of food transfer from trophic level to another
pattern of feeding in an ecosystem consisting of interconnected and branching food chains
graphical model that illustrates the flow of energy through different forms of life in an ecosystem
diagram representing the organic material that comes from plants and animals in each tropic level of an ecosystem
specifically refers to energy transfer in a food chain. According to the rule, only 10% of energy is transferred to the next level of food chain, out of the remaining 90%, some is used up metabolically for survival and the rest is lost as body heat
competition between species that depend on the same limited resource
Principle of Competitive Exclusion
the competitive exclusion principle states that two species competing for the same resource cannot coexist at constant population values, if other ecological factors remain constant
unique living arrangement of an organism by its habitat, food sources, time of day it's most active, and other facors
interaction in which one organism consumes another
consumer that eats only producers
close interaction between species in which one species lives in or on another
type of symbiotic relationship in which both organisms benefit
symbiotic relationship in which one organism benefits another, while the other organism is neither harmed nor helped
relationship in which a parasitic organism obtains its food at the expense of a host organism
Sets found in the same folder
semester one english study guide
Photosynthesis and Respiration (Outputs and Inputs)
Sets with similar terms
2016 Ecology and Bacteria to Plants CBA - T
Ecology by msfairbio