(c) Ralph Agarcio
Terms in this set (60)
-generally poetic in form and come in one, two three or four lines, This served as a form of folk speech and about the battle of wits. Riddle uses one or more images to refer to an object to be guessed. (
in Tagalog and
in Ilongo and
-It involves the the use of metaphor a figure of speech which uses direct comparison of two unlike things or ideas.
-consists of myths, legends, and folktales
-prose narratives exaplaning how the world and people came to be in their form.
-also called as
-express norms or codes of behavior, community beliefs or they instill values by offering nuggets of wisdom in short rhyming verse
-mono rhyming heptasyllabic quatrain.
-a form of folk lyric which expresses the hopes, aspirations, the people's lifestyles as well as their loves.
- 7 syllable per line poem).
-popular during wakes.
-ethno-epics because they are histories of various ethnic groups. Also called as
(Manobo). It revolves around supernatural events or heroic deeds and they embody or validate the beliefs and customs and ideals of a community.
- treasures or repositories of wisdom in their society. Ex: Lam-ang (Ilocano), Hinilawod (Sulod), Kudaman (Palawan), Darangen (Maranao)
-presents a story that is invented and not literally true. It is written to be read rather than acted or performed and the events depicted are told to us by a narrator, not enacted or dramatized.
March 16, 1521
- year when the Spaniard came in the Philippines.
-the literatures were written in paper already.
-the most prominent characteristic of literature is about
-Theater plays also emerged which is also connected to religion like
sinakulo, sarswela, playlets and drama
-Literature may be classified as
religious or secular prose and poetry
-make poems for religious lyrics, they knew both Filipino and Spanish
Ang Mahal na Pasyon ni Jesu Cristong Panginoon Natin
(Gaspar Aquino de Belen)
-earliest known _______
Awit and Korido
-metrical romance like Balagtas's Florante at Laura
-Poets include Huseng Sisiw and Francisco Balagtas
-include Leono Tolentino, Jacinto Kawili, Isabelo de los Reyes and Rafael Gandioco.
Mi Ultimo Adios
Pag-Ibig sa Tinubuang Lupa
spurred by 2 significant developments in
education and culture.
1) free public education
2) the use of English a as a medium of instruction in all levels of education.
-marked by imitation of the style of storytelling and strict adherence to the way the short story was practiced by American fictitionists.
-experimental changes in free verse happened but the traditional rhyme and meter were retained.
-in newspapers and magazines (became vernacular because of struggling in the use of English language)
-about the fusion of Filipino values and American ideals about life and morality blossomed.. ex:
(Paz Marquez Benitez),
How My Brother Leon Brought Home a Wife
(Manuel Arguilla)-vivid imagery of Nagrebacan in Ilocos.
-about fate, love and social justice
-writers include Inigo ed Regalado, Amado V. Hernandez
Iloko's poet laureate
Minning Weno Ayat ti Kararwa
Iloko version od Noli Me Tangere
Magdalena Jalandoni and Ramon Munzones (lead writers about love, courtship, farmlands life and social upheaval). Marcel Navarra ( wrote stories and novels in Sugbuhanon).
- invented Balagtasan in his honor (a poetical battle done almost spontaneously between protagonists who debate over the pros and cons of an issue).
POST WAR AND CONTEMPORARY PERIOD
Philippine literature- continued with the appearance of new publications after the Martial Law
- the Philippine novel in English or not has remained social-realist.
Sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag
(Edgardo Reyes)- critique urban blight.
To be Free
(K. Tiempo) a historical probe of the western idea of freedom on the context of indigenous Philippine culture.
The Hand of the Enemy
Various literary award were also present such as Don Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literarure, the Philippine Free Press, Philippine Graphic, Home and Life Panorama.
-written by a poet in a meter or in verse expressing various emotions which use a lot of techniques like figures of speech, It heavily uses imagery, meter and rhyme.
-a literature used in most parts of Luzon.
- tells a story by entertaining the audience. ex. Ballad- tells a story od a particular time and place. ex: Mariang Sinukuan- by Virgilio Almario
-NATIONAL ARTIST FOR LITERATURE IN 2003
-came from family of peasants farmers in the province of Bulacan
-Ang Makata sa Panahon ng Makina
Figures of Speech
-a literary device used as a word or phrase that has a meaning that may be different in its literal meaning.
-a figure of speech in which a thing, an idea or an animal is given human attributes.
- one element in the narrative structure of a piece of literature It's also referred as atmosphere because ot creates an emotional setting enveloping the reader. It affects the reader, emotionally and psychologically to provide a feeling for narrative.
poet born in Manila and an assistant professor of English, literature and creative writing at UP Diliman Ex:
(first book of poems, which won First prize in Palanca Awards sparked interests).
- an open form of poetry. It doesn't use consistent patterns, rhyme, or any other musical pattern.
- a poetry mastered by Frank Rivera where entire poems are written and read on mobile phones.
- divided into stanzas or verses.
- repetition of sound in different words.
FRANK G. RIVERA
"makata sa Cellphone"
- born on February 29, 1948 in Paete, Laguna.
-type of Filipino poem, consisting of four lines with 7 to 9 syllables each with the same rhyme at the end of each line.
- genre fiction which addresses of modern womanhood, often humorously and light heartedly.
- underlying message or big idea.
PLOT OF A STORY
- main action that runs through the whole story, It beings with a problem or situation and ends when a problem is solved. (has beginning and ending).
- actions become complicated and the conflict of the story is revealed.
- beginning of the story where characters and setting is revealed.
- highest point of interest and the turning point ofthe story.
-the events and complication begin to resolve themselves,
- concludes the falling action by revealing or suggesting the outcome of the conflict.
MINA V. ESGUERRA
- writes contemporary romance and young adult novellas. Her novels include (Goddess of Love), Fairy Tale Fail and That Kind of Guy
-a piece of prose fiction marked by relative shortness and density, organized into plot with some kind of denouement at the end.
- used by the writer in his writings.
Expository writing style
- subject-oriented style. Tells the reader about the sp. subject or topic in the end the author leaves out his own opinion about the topic.
- the author tries to paint a picture for you. Uses sensory details to pull the reader into the writer's world.
- writer tries to persuade the reader. It is subjective since the writer uses his/her opinions to support a central idea.
- tells a story, the writer create different characters and tells what happens to them.
CIRILO F. BAUTISTA
- National Artist for Lietrature ,a poet , fictionist, critic and writer of non-fition was born in 1941. A poet essayist, fictionist with exceptional achievement and significant contributions to th development of the country's literary arts. THE RESURRECTION is one of his works.
-refers to the body of oral and written literature ofs speakers of Cebuano, mother tongue a quarter of country's population who lived inCebu, Bohol, Sigquijor, Negros Oriental, and parts of Leyte and Mindanao.
- literary growth through
Lubas sa Dagang Bisaya and Bathalan-ong Halad sa Dagang.
- moromoro because of its Anti-Muslim theme.
- prose narratives to this short story ex (Maming by Vicente Sotto, father of Cebuano letters) which later developed into sugilambong or novel.
- mostly nationalistic and didactic in spirit, to be replaced later by more escapist fare like stories of love, detection and adventure.Combination of social criticisms and entertainemnts were seen in the works of Rodrigues, Kabahar, and Borromeo.