5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a Wrote many famous Greek tragedies including Oedipus Rex.
- b Wrote many famous Greek tragedies. Plays such as The Trojan Women, show the misery that war brings
- c Describing the artistic style of ancient Greece and Rome, characterized by balance, elegance, and simplicity
- d Athenian general/leader who lead the Athenian Navy to victory over the Persians at the battle at Salamis.
- e A military formation in which foot soldiers stood so that their shields overlapped
5 Multiple choice questions
- A philosopher who believed in absolute truth. He developed a teaching technique known as The Socratic Method. He was found guilty of "corrupting the young" and was sentenced to die by drinking hemlock juice.
- Member of the nobility or the upper-class
- Story or play in which the central character struggles against destiny, but meets an unhappy end
- A soldier who serves a foreign country for pay
- A gathering of men in Ancient Athens that featured eating, drinking, entertainment, and intellectual discussion
5 True/False questions
Polis → City-state of Ancient Greece
Tyrant → A person who seized power and established one-man rule
Bard → A poet who tells stories by singing
Cleisthenes → Introduced a series of laws that established democracy in Athens. Through his reform, he sought to break the power of the aristocracy, and reorganized the structure of Athenian government. Under his constitution, the assembly won increased powers and emerged as the major political body.
Plato → City-state of Ancient Greece