Create an account
- alternative forms of the same gene (sometimes there may be the genes are the same), located at the same position (locus) on homologous chromosomes
- pairs of alleles are related to homologous pair of chromosomes (1 from mom and 1 from dad).
- separation of the maternal and paternal alleles during Meiosis I (in the separation of homologous pairs)
- Mendel's First Law
- random distribution of genes into the games during Meiosis due to crossing over/recombination
- Mendel's 2nd Law
- 2 gene loci that are extremely close together will not independently assort, therefore the two genes will not independently cross over
- exception to the rule of independent assortment
- alleles at a particular locus that are identical ie) RR, or rr
- meiosis will produce identical gametes for this locus
- alleles at a particular locus are not identical ie) Rr
- meiosis will produce different gametes for this locus
- sex chromosomes that are present in males
- no corresponding allele ie) XY (not the same, there is only allele per pair)
- allele in a heterozygous state that is expressed
ie) Pp = purple flower because purple is dominant to white
- allele in a heterozygous state that is masked.
ie) Pp = purple flower because white is recessive to purple
- father of classical genetics
- conducted garden pea experiments
- results led to understanding of inheritance of single gene traits
- will always get the same offspring phenotype from matings with homozygous alleles at a particular locus.
- ie) RR and rr, where R ex[resses Red hair and r expresses brown hair, offspring will have Rr but express Red Hair phenotpyically
- mating in which we are following the inheritance of 2 loci
- ie) pea color and pea shape
Characteristics of Monohybrid Crosses
1. alleles segregate during game production
- gametes receive 1 allele per locus
- explanation: homologous chromosomes separate in meiosis II
2. genes do not blend.
- gene structure do not change from one generation to the next
3. genes can interact as recessive or dominant
- gene expression may be masked, due to some forms of the gene being recessive.
Characteristics of Dihybrid Crosses
1. Loci assortment into gametes independently of all other loci (one locus does not affect the other)
- chromosomes move to opposite poles independently of each other in Anaphase II
- loci on the same chromosome still assort independently do to crossing over
- two alleles that express themselves completely when heterozygous
- ie) ABO blood type:
IAIA or IAi = A blood Type
IBIB or IBi = B blood type
ii = O blood type
IAIB = AB blood type
- alleles in the heterozygous state will show an intermediate phenotype
- ie) pink snap dragons are a hybrid between dominate and recessive phenotypes
Mendel's Experiment of Monohybrid Crosses
1. P1 generation: parental generation = smooth and wrinkled peas
2. F1 generation: offspring of P1 = all smooth
3. F2 generation: offspring of F1 = 5,474 smooth and 1,850 wrinkled (Phenotype Ratio: 3 Purple:1 white, Genotype Ratio: 1 PP:2 Pp:1 Pp)
Mendelian Inheritance with Monohybrid crosses
1. Genes determine traits and can be present but not expresses
2. Despite the identical appearance of P1 and F1, they were genetically different
3. The F1 generation carried genes for smooth and wrinkled traits because both types were present in F2 generation
4. F1 generation carried two genes for one trait, then P1 and F2 also carried two genes for the trait as well.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together