Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (50)
Showing care and thought for the future
careful and sensible; marked by sound judgment
It has to happen
incapable or being avoided or prevented
delicate or precise
not obvious; difficult for the mind to detect or analyze /
hard to notice
compromise (noun / verb)
an agreement between two people in which both sides make concessions (noun)
make a compromise or expose or make liable to danger, suspicion, or disrepute (e.g. to compromise the mission)
the state of being prosperous or having good fortune (usually connected to money and associated with good luck)
is a feeling of deep respect or awe for someone or something
sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.
Hard working. quietly and steadily persevering especially in detail or exactness
well meaning and kindly.
showing or motivated by sympathy and understanding and generosity; intending or showing kindness
Full of yourself / think you better than anyone else
Having or showing arrogant superiority to and disdain of those one views as unworthy
disdain (noun / verb)
the feeling that someone or something is unworthy of one's consideration or respect; contempt.
lack of respect accompanied by a feeling of intense dislike
accorded a great deal of respect, especially because of age, wisdom, or character.
profoundly honored; impressive by reason of age or status
characterized by reserve or moderation; unemotional or dispassionate.
(1) under restraint; controlled inhibited
(2) prudent; not showy or obtrusive; marked by avoidance of extravagances or extremes' cool and formal in manner
Speaker; a person who delivers a speech
restrain oneself from doing or enjoying something.
choose not to consume or participate in something (also to refrain from voting)
1.produce or be filled with a deep, full, reverberating sound.
2. to be received or understood (create an emotional response)
juxtapose (verb / noun)
to place side by side fort the purpose of comparing (verb)
the act of positioning close together (side by side) to highlight connections and contrasts (noun)
1. A safe place. A shelter from danger
2. A hospital for the mentally incompetent
feeling or showing caution about possible dangers or problems.
marked by keen caution and watchful prudence (means careful good judgement to avoid danger or risk)
acting or done quickly and without thought or care. characterized by undue haste and lack of thought or deliberation and marked by violent force
1.encourage or promote the growth or development of (something, typically something regarded as good).
2. help develop. help grow
3. bring up under fosterage; of children
1. existing or occurring at or on the surface.
2. concerned with comprehending only what is apparent or obvious; not deep or penetrating emotionally or intellectually
3. of little substance or significance
become less intense or widespread. less in amount
make less active or intense
having or showing an ability to understand difficult ideas and situations and to make good decisions (noun)
acutely insightful and wise (adj)
unnecessary, especially through being more than enough.
1. more than is needed, desired or required
2. serving no useful purpose; having no excuse for being
clear (someone) of blame or suspicion.
1. show to be right by proof
2. clear of accusation. blame or suspicion with proof
3. maintain, uphold or defend
1. the restoration / reestablishing of friendly or cordial relations.
2. getting two things to correspond
represent (something, especially something undesirable) as being done, caused, or possessed by someone; attribute.
1. attribute or credit to
2. attribute (responsibility or fault) to a cause or source
bias (noun / verb)
prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
1. a partiality that prevents objective consideration of an issue or situation (noun)
2. influence in an unfair way (verb)
1.harm or damage the good reputation of (someone or something).
2. reject as false; refuse to accept
3. to cause to be distrusted or disbelieved
cease to resist an opponent or an unwelcome demand; surrender.
having or showing shrewdness and good judgment, especially in money or business matters.
concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty.
courage in pain or adversity.
bold and without shame.
match or surpass (a person or achievement), typically by imitation.
1. to strive to equal or match , esp. by imitating
2. compete with successfully; approach or reach with equitity
subject to or depending on one or more conditions or requirements being met; made or granted on certain terms.
(of a person, event, or behavior) noisy, energetic, and cheerful; rowdy.
1. full or rough and exuberant animal spirits
2. noisy and lacking in restraint or discipline
3. violently agitated and turbulent
avoiding waste (synonyms: thrifty, economical)
sparing or economical with regard to money or food.
lasting only for a short time; (synonyms: temporary or impermanent.
invulnerable to fear or intimidation; bold; brave
a state of misfortune or affliction
inclined or willing to submit to orders; or to wishes of others
a pretentious or showy display; flamboyant; flashy; trying to impress others
examine carefully for accuracy with the intent of verification
to look at critically or searchingly, or in minute detail
ostentatiously rich and luxurious or lavish
patent self-control; restraint and tolerence
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent culture etc
(of a monarch) renounce ones throne
filled with or destined to result in
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Animal Farm Vocab (All Chapters)
Animal Farm Vocab
SAT 1 2 3 4
SAT Vocab Week 2
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
English 11 Focus List
Top 100 Words List