Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Photosynthesis POGIL answers
Terms in this set (19)
1a. What is the name of this organelle?
1b. Is this organelle more likely to be found in animal cells or plant cells?
2. The structures inside the organelle in Model 1 are called thylakoids. What compound necessary for photosynthesis is contained in the thylakoids?
3a. What substances are the reactants in photosynthesis? Include the name and chemical formula of each substance in your answer.
Carbon dioxide- CO₂ and Hydrogen dioxide- H₂O
3b. Where in the organelle are these molecules stored before they are used in photosynthesis?
3c. Is photosynthesis an endergonic or exergonic reaction? Support your answer with evidence from Model 1.
Exergonic because it releases energy into the plant cell
3d. What is the energy source for photosynthesis?
4a. What is another name for the light-independent reactions?
The Calvin cycle
4b. In what part of the chloroplast do the light-dependent reactions occur?
4c. In what part of the chloroplast do the light-independent reactions occur?
5. Considering your answers to question 4, what compound is best able to absorb the light energy from the sun and convert it into chemical energy?
6. What substances are produced during photosynthesis? Include the name and chemical formula of each substance in your answer.
Glucose- C₆H₁₂O₆, Oxygen- O₂, and Hydrogen dioxide- H₂O
7. Why is it necessary to have six CO₂ entering the chloroplast?
So that there will be 6 Carbons in the glucose
In Model 2, what shape or symbol represents a single electron?
A black dot
9a. Find two places in Model 2 where electrons are released from chlorophyll by a photon of light coming from the sun.
At photosystem I and II
9b. Find one place in Model 2 where electrons are released from water molecules.
The inner thylakoid
9c. When the electrons are released from water molecules, what other products are formed?
H⁺ and O₂
10. In Model 2, label the diagram with "A", "B", and "C" to indicate where the three steps in the box are occurring.
"A" occurs in Photosystem II, "B" occurs in the ETC, and "C" occurs in the ATP synthase
11. The light-dependent reactions include an electron transport chain system that works in a very similar fashion to the electron transport chain in respiration. Briefly describe how this system works and what job it performs in the light-dependent reactions. (Your answer should include a discussion about concentration gradient.)
The electrons go against the concentration gradient and then something happens
The best way to motivate adolescents toward good oral hygiene habits is by
how are proteins made in the cytoplasm
Which sedimentary rock has the smallest grain size?
What is riluzole used to treat?
Sets found in the same folder
Levels of Organization
Biological Science Freeman Chapter 3
Biology Unit 1
Other sets by this creator
Effingham's Menu Quiz 8/14/2020
Las Relaciones Personales
Avancemos Unit 3 Sections 1 and 2 Vocabulary
Other Quizlet sets
Topic 8 - Variable Rate Mortgages
Hearing science the decibel
ENT4900 Chapter 5