Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (22)
The tragedy of the commons can be prevented by:
the use of harvest permits
Which is NOT an example of an externality?
Roads maintained with a tax on gasoline
The maximum sustainable yield of a population usually occurs
at half the carrying capacity
Which type of protected land might allow limited mining?
A managed resource protected area
Which federal agencies typically classify their federal lands as multiple-use?
I. Bureau of Land Management
II. United States Forest Service
III. Fish and Wildlife Service
I, II, and III
Which of the following is NOT a problem in rangeland management?
The high cost of grazing permits
Which is used to reduce the impact of timber harvesting?
The use of environmental impact statements was mandated by
the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969
Which of the following is NOT a cause of urban sprawl?
Mixed land use
The creation of walkable neighborhoods is
a principle of smart growth
1. Which of the following is NOT an example of the tragedy of the commons?
Automobile congestion in Yellowstone National Park
2. In the accompanying graph of the population growth of the common pheasant, one of the world's most hunted birds, X represents
Maximum sustainable yield
3. Under the provisions of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), which of the following would require the preparation of an environmental impact statement (EIS)?
The expansion of an interstate highway
4. Federally owned land in the United States can best be described as
25% of all land, with the majority of it in the west
5. Which type of protected area is least likely to support tourism and recreation?
Habitat/Species management areas
6. The four major public land management agencies in the United States operate under the principle of multiple use. Which of the following uses is common to all four agencies' lands?
7. For many years, forest fires were suppressed to protect lives and property. This policy has led to
A buildup of dead biomass that can fuel larger fires
8. When we purchase an item, we are charged for the labor and supply costs of producing that item. However, we are not charged for the costs of any environmental damage that occurred in manufacturing that item. Those costs are known as
9. Which of the following is not an environmental consequence of clear-cutting?
Increased fish populations due to the influx of nutrients into streams
10. Which of the Following are environmental impacts of urban sprawl?
I. Greater reliance on the automobile and increased fossil fuel consumption
II. Increased consumption of land for housing and highway construction
III. Loss of valuable farmlands
I, II, and III
11. Which of the following has contributed to urban sprawl over the past 50 years?
Use of federal gasoline tax to construct and maintain highways
12. Which of the following is not an environmental benefit of smart growth?
Increased impervious surfaces
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
APES CH 6 Review
APES Ch. 10
Chapter 4 modules
APES CH 15 Review
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Chapter 10 Modules
Chapter 10 test
APES Ch 10 Review
A.P.E.S. Chapter 10 Multiple Choice and Free Respo…
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Chapter 7 APES
Chapter 6 APES