Scheduled maintenance: Saturday, August 7 from 5PM to 6PM PDT
Upgrade to remove ads
Nixon Webquest quiz review
Terms in this set (41)
12. During the 1952 presidential election, what was Nixon accused of by the New York Post? How did he defend himself? How was his response viewed by the public?
a. Claiming that the campaign donors were buying influence
b. He noted that the fund was neither secret nor unusual and produced an independent audit showing that the funds had been used only for political purposes
The speech was a great success
# in line of US presidents:
Number of terms
Gerald Ford, Agnew
January 9, 1913
Society of Friends ( Quaker)
Thelma Catherin " Pat" Nixon
Where did Nixon grow up?
Yorba, Linda, California
What did his family do for a living?
Worked at a grocery store and gas station
Where did Nixon go to college and law school?
Whittier college and Duke law school
Before he entered politics, what was Nixon's profession?
Student government, Drama, Football
How did he meet his wife?
At a rehearsal for a community play
In which branch of the military did Nixon serve? In which war?
What was the first political office held by Nixon? When? Which party did he represent?
8. What gained Nixon national fame as a Congressman in 1948?
He took the lead in investigation chargers against former State Department official Alger Hiss of spying for the Soviet Union before and during WW11
9. When did Nixon win a Senate seat? For which state?
As a senator, Nixon gained national prominence for warning against what threat?
11. Which political office did Nixon win in 1952? Under which President?
13. What was the "kitchen debate"? Which other world figure was part of it?
a. In July, 1959 Eisenhower sent Nixon to the Soviet Union to represent the United States at the opening of the American National Exhibition in Moscow, the soviet capital. While touring the exhibit with Soviet leader, the pair stopped at a model of an American Kitchen
American National Exhibition
In which year did Nixon run for president? For which party? Who was his opponent? What was the outcome of the election? How close was the election?
d. Nixon Won
Lost by 13,000
15. Which office did he run for in 1962? How did he view the defeat?
As the end of his career
16. Nixon ran for president for a second time in what year? Who was his running mate?
In the 1968 campaign, he portrayed himself as a figure of___________in a time of national upheaval, Nixon promised a return to ______________________ and __________________.
" law and order" _________
19. Who won the Democratic nomination for President in 1968? Who was the third-party candidate? What was the outcome of the election?
a. Hubert Humphrey
b. George Wallace
What was the main problem that Nixon had to deal with after winning the 1968 election?
How to end the vietnam war
In a televised speech, who did Nixon ask to renew their confidence in the American government and back his policy of seeking a negotiated peace in Vietnam
What was Nixon's policy called for gradually removing American troops from Vietnam?
Which country did Nixon visit in February of 1972?
25. Where did he visit in May of 1972? With whom did he meet? Why was this visit so important?
b. Leonid Brezhnev
Led to the signing of the Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty
Who did Nixon defeat in 1972 to win another term as President?
28. What scandal rocked his presidency almost immediately after winning re-election?
What was released that proved Nixon's involvement in a cover-up of the Watergate burglary?
Abuses of power,
hy was his Vice President, Spiro Agnew, forced to resign in October of 1973?
Because they had found out that he had taken bribes from Maryland Construction Firms
Who replace Agnew as Vice President?
34. Who served as president for the remainder of Nixon's term? What did he do for Nixon exactly one month later?
Ford pardoned Nixon for "all offenses against the United States"
What did Nixon end in 1973?
He ended the Draft
What agency did he establish in response to the rising concerns over conservation and pollution?
Environment Protection agency
What educational change did he initiate and oversee in the southern states?
39. Which amendment to the Constitution was passed during his presidency? What did it do?
a. 26th Amendment
Lowered voting age from 21 to 18, extending the right to vote
What agreement was signed in 1973 during his presidency to end the Vietnam War?
Paris peace Accords
You might also like...
About Richard Nixon
2014 Social Studies Government: United States, Rol…
us history unit 11 test
Hist 112 final
Other sets by this creator
Chapter 7 Peripheral Arterial Disease
Chapter 7 Review Exercise Management
Exercise Management Exam 1 Review
Myth and Culture Exam 2 Review
Other Quizlet sets
Test 1 - Ch 1.
We're Not Really Strangers
Chapter 3 Christology Content