10 billion new infections every year.
● 13 million people are affected by infectious diseases every year.
● Malaria kills more than 1million people every year (prevention costs just $3-5 = net = life)
● AIDS kills 2.9 million people every year
● Emerging Diseases - Acquired ImmunoDeficiency Syndrome(AIDS), Hanta Virus Pulmonary Syndrome, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), West Nile Virus, H1N1, etc.... Each year we add infectious diseases to this list.
● Reemerging Diseases - Tuberculosis (once thought it would be eradicated, but has made a come back with Multi-Drug Resistant TB).
● Diseases which were once thought to be the result of non-infectious causes - Peptic ulcers (caused by Helicobacter pylori), Cancer (Human Papilloma Virus, AIDS, Epstein-Barr), Diabetes (Coxsackie Virus), Schizophrenia (Borna agent) , MS, OCD, Coronary artery disease, and Obesity.
To sum up - Ultimately microbes have the last word!