Level 33: A Trip to Yunnan (Grammar)
Terms in this set (15)
GEOGRAPHY: Name at least three locations in Yunnan.
GEOGRAPHY: Name one attraction around 昆明.
GEOGRAPHY: Name one attraction around 大理.
GEOGRAPHY: Name one attraction around 丽江.
CULTURE: Describe a hard sleeper and a soft sleeper train car, and compare and contrast the differences.
CULTURE: List at least two different possible types of tickets/accomodations in a long-distance sleeper train. (There are four.)
MAKE A SENTENCE: 只好
(zhǐ hǎo) [adv] have no choice but
In a complex sentence, 只好 is usually used in a second clause to describe or explain the consequence of something that happened in the first clause (CAUSE AND EFFECT).
"(sub +) cause, sub + 只好 + consequence"
1. 我今天很想看篮球赛，可是晚上到球场的时候，票卖完了，我只好以后再看了。= I really wanted to watch a basketball game today, but when I got to the stadium tonight, the tickets were all sold out. I'll just have to wait till another time.
2. 小张的父母不给他零用钱了，他只好去打工。＝ Little Zhang's parents stopped giving him an allowance, so he has to work part-time.
3. 朋友请他晚上去听演唱会，可是明天有考试，她只好在家复习。= A friend invited him to go to a concert tonight, but there's a test tomorrow, so he has to stay home and review.
TRANSLATE: The three of us can't understand [the tour guide], so Xuemei has no choice but to translate for us
MAKE A SENTENCE: 留下... 印象
B给A留下很好/不好/很深的印象 ＝ "B leaves A a good/bad/deep impression"
云南给我留下了很深的印象 = Yunnan left on me a very deep impression
TRANSLATE: Yunnan left on me a very deep impression.
MAKE A SENTENCE: 千万(别)
(qiān wàn [bié]) [adv] by all means [DO NOT]; absolutely must [NOT]
NOTE: "千万" by itself means "absolutely must." It is used in imperative sentences to give commands or advice.
While it can be used positively, "千万" is usually used in the negative structure "千万别":
> sub＋千万别＋verb"＝"absolutely must NOT [verb]"
下次千万别找有"购物"的团 = next time absolutely must not look for "shopping" package tours
TRANSLATE: Next time you absolutely must not look for "shopping" package tours.
MAKE A SENTENCE: 不过 (adverb)
(bú guò) [adv] however; no more than
NOTE: We've previously learned 不过 as a conjunction indicating a turn in thought (like 但是/可是). In Level 33, however, 不过 is an adverb meaning "only, no more than." It can be modified by 只.
1. 这个古城不大，从东边走到西边不过一两个小时。＝ This ancient town is not big. It only takes a couple of hours to go from the east to the west side.
2. 我不过是跟你开玩笑，你怎么哭了？＝ I was only joking with you. Why are you crying?
RULE (in English): in English, list at least TWO different usages for 不过. Contrast the structure of each usage, and give examples.
不过 = conjunction = but, although
不过 = adverb = no more than
TRANSLATE: This ancient town is not big, it takes no more than a couple of hours to walk from the east to the west side.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
If We Must Die
GLOSSARY UNIT_4 GENESIS BALLE
ENGL 145 logical fallacies
מתקדמים א עמק יזרעאל 1-6
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Chinese 3 Grammar Review (Part 1)
Level 30: Chinese Geography (map locatio…
Huanying (Volume 2: 1 to 4)
Huanying (Volume 1)