Create an account
• Referential style - first words are nouns denoting objects - cat
• Use single words with good pronunciation - do it again
• Expressive - interpersonal meanings
• Formulaic expression including inflectional markers (e.g. ed to show tense)
• Pronunciation is less clear
• Are these styles inherent dispositions or learned from parents
• Lieven (1978)
• Does the way mothers respond to their child's speech influence their style?
• Observed concersations between mother and child
• Referential responds 80% of the time with more information or question
• Expressive responds less than 50% of the time often ignoring what the child says or using a cliche
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together