Upgrade to remove ads
English Vocab Test 3
Terms in this set (12)
1. covered thinly with gold leaf or gold paint
2. wealthy and privileged
3. given a specious or false brilliance to
1. superficially plausible, but actually wrong
2. misleading in appearance; especially misleadingly attractive
Specious is synonymous with spurious.
not being what it purports to be be; false or fake
Spurious is synonymous with specious..
n. and adj.
1. adj. only -- happening or developing gradually or in stages; proceeding step by step
2. n. and adj. -- favoring or implementing social reform or new, liberal ideas; favoring or promoting change or innovation
1. take in information, ideas, or culture and understand fully, make them one's own
2. absorb and integrate people, ideas, or culture into a wider society or culture
persistent, sometimes to the point of annoyance
1. policy of protecting the interests of native-born or established inhabitants against those of immigrants
2. a return to or emphasis on traditional or local customs, in opposition to outside influences
elaborate display or ceremony
1. support given by a patron (a person who gives financial or other support to a person, organization, cause, or activity)
2. power to control appointments to office or the right to privileges
1. political party seeking to represent the interests of ordinary people
2. belief in and concern for the views of ordinary people
remarkably or impressively great in extent, size, or degree
behaving or looking as though one thinks one is superior to others
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
AS English Vocab Test
Vocab #2- The Fiery Trial
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Leadership Test Notes(Without Mark's propaganda)
Culture - Sociology Chapter 2
Intro to Sociology - Chapter 3 Review
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Chapter 9 Biology Quiz
Quiz 1:Unit 3-Ottomans, Mughals and Qing Dynasty(W…
Chapter 7 Biology Test