Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Arts and Humanities
History of the Americas
ch15-16-questions of the week-5
Terms in this set (21)
1. In color, recreate the graphic organizer on p.197. Name the territories acquired by the United States. Label each territory with how and why each was acquired.
2. Why was control of the Mississippi River important to western farmers?
The Control of the Mississippi River, then known as Louisiana, was important to western farmers because they were able to get their crops to market, and float them down the Mississippi to New Orleans. The farmers depended on being able to move their crops freely along this route.
3. How did the United States acquire Louisiana?
James Monroe was sent to France by president Jefferson in 1803 with an offer to buy New Orleans for $7.5 million. Napolean no longer needed Louisiana so instead of a city, the United States had the chance to buy bigger. April 30, 1803 was the date he signed a treaty giving Louisiana to the United States in trade for $15 million.
4. What did the Lewis and Clark expedition achieve?
The Lewis and Clark expedition achieved finding out that the Northwest Passage did not exist, traveled about 8,000 miles, mapped a route to the Pacific, made good relations with the western Indians, and brought back priceless information about the West and its peoples.
5. Why did Lewis and Clark include Sacagawea in the expedition?
Lewis and Clark hoped Sacagawea would translate for them when they reached Shoshone country.
6. Why did farmers oppose Spanish and French control of New Orleans?
7. Why was the United States able to buy Louisiana for a very low price?
8. How did rival claims to Oregon Country develop?
9. How did fur trappers and missionaries help open up the Far West?
10. What hardships did settlers face?
11. How did the United States and Britain settle their claims to Oregon Country?
12. How did mountain men contribute to settlement of the West?
13. Why did settlers flock to Oregon after the 1840's?
14. Why did Americans settle in Texas?
15. How did Texas become an independent nation?
16. Why did northerners and southerners disagree about annexing Texas?
17. How did the United States gain Oregon?
18. What were the causes and results of the Mexican War?
19. How did the Mormons settle Utah?
20. How did the discovery of gold affect life in California?
21. What role did the Catholic Church play in the settlement of California?
Sets with similar terms
Chapter 8.2 The Louisiana Purchase
Chapter 15 - Manifest Destiny and the Growing Nati…
U.S HISTORY: West-Ward Expansion (Performance Task…